Need info for suspending light fixture, Please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LadyReefer

I bought a corner tank sold as a 50g, not really sure if it is or not, but the point is, I bought a 250w Odyssea Metal Halide T5 HO light ( sold as a 346w light)for it, but the light is too big to just sit it on the tank

I do have the legs on the fixture and it rests pretty steady on the tank. Remember, it is a corner tank so I had to slide the legs in back pretty far in the middle of the back for it to rest on the back corner edges.

The light is way too close to the water. I really dont see having a hood built for this tank any time in the future, and like the look of a light hanging from the ceiling.. I have seen suspension kits for other lights, but dont know which one would or could be compatible for the Odyssea fixture. Its 24" long by 15" wide, by the way.

Ive read that this light is comparable to the Coralife?, I think it is, lights.

I have researched suspension kits and have seen them with the little metal thing that attaches to the top of the light. Is this metal piece one that slides into the grooves that are on top of these fixtures? Same type grooves that are in place for the legs to slide in, only on top of the fixture.

Are these grooves there for suspension option? If so, would any suspension kit work that has the small metal pieces?

Sorry if I am not making things clear enough. Im used to MH retros on bigger tanks and havent had any experience with hanging fixtures. When Ive used PCs before, they have always sat on the tank. But with a corner tank, this just cant work.

Thanks for any help.Its much appreciated

I bought a corner tank sold as a 50g, not really sure if it is or not, but the point is, I bought a 250w Odyssea Metal Halide T5 HO light ( sold as a 346w light)for it, but the light is too big to just sit it on the tank

I do have the legs on the fixture and it rests pretty steady on the tank. Remember, it is a corner tank so I had to slide the legs in back pretty far in the middle of the back for it to rest on the back corner edges.

The light is way too close to the water. I really dont see having a hood built for this tank any time in the future, and like the look of a light hanging from the ceiling.. I have seen suspension kits for other lights, but dont know which one would or could be compatible for the Odyssea fixture. Its 24" long by 15" wide, by the way.

Ive read that this light is comparable to the Coralife?, I think it is, lights.

I have researched suspension kits and have seen them with the little metal thing that attaches to the top of the light. Is this metal piece one that slides into the grooves that are on top of these fixtures? Same type grooves that are in place for the legs to slide in, only on top of the fixture.

Are these grooves there for suspension option? If so, would any suspension kit work that has the small metal pieces?

Sorry if I am not making things clear enough. Im used to MH retros on bigger tanks and havent had any experience with hanging fixtures. When Ive used PCs before, they have always sat on the tank. But with a corner tank, this just cant work.

Thanks for any help.Its much appreciated

http://shop.aquatraders.com/Hanging-Kit-for-MH-p/59031.htm

This is the suspension kit for your application.

I bought the Coralife hanging kit for my Odyssea 48" fixture and it worked like a champ. It looks way cleaner than the one from Aquatraders. I got it from Marine Depot for around $25 if I remember correctly.
I can post some pics if you are interested.

I bought the Coralife hanging kit for my Odyssea 48" fixture and it worked like a champ. It looks way cleaner than the one from Aquatraders. I got it from Marine Depot for around $25 if I remember correctly.
I can post some pics if you are interested.

Hey actually I would love to see some pics of this. If you can show how/where it is attached and the mounting to the ceiling as well that would be awesome! I have been very relenting to get the aquatraders version, especially since they do not show pictures of the kit on the site. Thanks!

Mounting is simple. It attaches to the ceiling with 2 J-hooks that screw into your beams or 2 J-hook toggle/wing bolt anchors if you just want it secured to the sheetrock. The wire just hooks over the hook and you slide a cover over the hook so you don't see it. I'll post some pics later tonight or tomorrow for you.

Thanks you guys, and Gals..........=) Your help is much appreciated. I am just now able to get back here to reply, so forgive for being late? =)

Thanks for the Welcome, MyTeeMouse...Im loving it here already!

Hey Chichas, I just found the one youre talking about. Its exactly what I need. Many thanks for this info. Very helpful. Thanks all for your replies! I SOOOOOOOO feel the love!

*Muwah*!!

Here are the pics:
IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

Thanks for the pics Chichas....thats exactly what I just bought and the look I wanted...Your help is greatly appreciated

Back