need info....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gfoster1983

im just getting some info i am trying to get a system going. i dont have anything right now so the first thing i need is the tank. i am looking for a 55 gallon tank so if anyone wants to get rid of one please let me know. im not looking to get this done right away i know its going to take time and money, i got the time but will need to do this step by step. i have a few things that some people are giving me to help me get started but im having a hard time finding the tank cheap, but the question i have is when im looking at coral what are the abreveations (ie. sps, lps, ect.) i want to do soft corals only as they will be a good way to learn the hobbie. i work with a guy who is real big into reef systems and he said he would help me out so i do have the suport of someone helping me. if anyone has any tips or pointers they would be greatly appritiated. thanks.

If you have the space a 75 gallon might work a bit better. It has the same dimentions but is 6" deeper. It makes aquascaping much easier and gives you that much more water volume.

SPS Small polyps] stony. Your basic colored sticks and chalices
LPS Large polyp stony. Large fleshy corals on a calcium skeleton

Good idea taking it slow. Patience is one of the keys to the hobby. One I struggle with.

Good luck with your build :)

Go with a 75... you will regret the 55 soon after. I did. There are a few on Craigslist right now.

Welcome to RF! :welcome:. I agree with the 75 gal over the 55 as well. They are the same dimensions all around except the 75 gal gives you more width (front to back) which comes in handy with swimming space for fish and aquascaping. Where the 55 gal is so slim, it sometimes forces you to place your rocks against the backwall which poses a problem with flow and deadspots where waste can settle and create water quality issues. However, if price is a concern, you will pay an extra few buck for the 75 gal unless you find a good deal.

Good luck and be sure to research and ask tons of questions! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back