Need opinion

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefdaddy1

Reef Geek Jedi
I have a question in regards to Ocean Lights by Aqua medic, I have never used them so Iam ignorant about them. Does anyone have expierence with thier T5 line? As far as reflector and light output? Thier cost is ok, but need help here.

No experience with these but If they are anything like the other Aqua Medic lights or any of their other products, typically they are well made.

Yeah true Scoot, Iam just real particular about the reflector tech on this unit. Isnt there anyone out there that uses a Ocean Light?

Actually I remember seeing one of these over & open tank, thing about this type is they focus more light downward by design, for fluorescents it should preform very well but again no data on that JMO!
If I would do H.O. T5's I'd buy the individual reflectors & then use the IC 660 ballast & retro the lights. I think you would get more for your money that way.

That I agree on, My thinking was on the same page there, However the case is clean and I was thinking about keeping it without a canopy. I am kinda stuck. On this design, I looking for a different approach on this. Have to think more on it.

Well Here is one for ya, I just got off the phone with reseller for Ocean lights. They have had the T5 Ocean lights on thier books for over a year and have never sold one. For that matter Aqua medic has never built one from what he understands. They keep hoping to , But never have. Thats pretty sad. But that took care of my delemia for sure. Back to the drawing board. MH or T5?

Well the one I saw must of been VHO's or Pc don't remember. You can get nice lighting from a geisman also they cost but from what I've seen put out.

For that money Scoot, They should come gold plated. LOL Or at least clean the tank... I think I may either have to do DIY or go MH pendants with a electronic ballast.

If your going to hang them then I'd go with an HQI type just because of the easy of swinging it, heat is easier to deal with & the UV glass should be high enough where spray won't be so bad. I don't know how you could DIY something like that without really putting up some nice work into it.

Point source vrs fluorescents total coverage! If you compare the fluorescents cover almost the complete distance across the length of the lamp, this is true for all of them. The point source lamps emits light in a circular fashion off the Length of the lamp inner fused quartz arc tube and its embedded tungsten electrodes the light emitted is perpendicular to it & 360 degrees (think I said that right LOL)! These both require reflectors to redirect light where needed as in hydroponics or a fish tank:) Some of the fluorescents either use built in reflectors like the URI or the require a reflector external. The good thing about a florescent is you have to make it the entire length of the lamp, it is easy to design a few bends around it which would reflect more light downwards. Now to make my point!
Pendants are typically small, focus point source light in a tight area, penetrating water very deep in the center area but dropping off fast as you go farther outwards. The next type of reflected light from a point source uses the typical spider type design, these are bigger & this allows a larger point area but sacrifices depth penetration slightly. The area covered in most cases is worth the loss in depth penetration for broader coverage but these reflectors have one flaw in their design. The spider type flaw leads to the next reflector in my point, larger & rather than reflective surfaces around the circumference of the arc tube, the Luminarc III's also add the ends to their design & are larger, thus spotting area is larger & you don't loose as much depth as the spiders because they make up for the area loss by adding the extra light gained by the ends being focused into the tank. This is why these LIII's are very highly rated. So if you go with any fluorescents with good reflectors you can do well depending on what you want to keep, & how deep you need the required light. The thing about fluorescents is they last years but what you don't see is how much usable light that corals need is loss much quicker, so changing out 4 T5's compared to one MH may end up in a wash if your keeping sps & the need to have that loss light so you end up replacing the lamps long before they ever come close to burning out. With all that said, considering the amount of electricity consumed I still prefer the MH over the fluorescents but like the fluorescents as supplemental light, pre dawn & dusk light & for colors!
Hanging a pendant leaves lots of open air to help cool the extra heat but it is still required to design some cooling & a UV cleaning schedule & possibly more MH required because of the area they cover vrs a MH with larger reflectors.
Was that more information than you needed?:p

Back