Need Skimmer Ideas 4 55 Hex.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

straycat

Have a 55 gal. Hex tank, oak tand, oak canopy. Made a PVC, grate, screen plenum and added live aggregate (sp) and grunge on top of that. Live rock, some shrimp, 1 yellow sunfin, 1 Gobey, 2 clowns. Misc. snails. Rite now I am running a power head on a tube with air bubbles. Been running 3 weeks now. Salinity great, Nitrate good, Nitrite good, Alkalinity high, PH good, Ammonia high. That's the conditions in a nut shell. Now my question, what benifits will I see if I get a skimmer? If I need a skimmer which one would you recomend? I don't want junk but don't need high end either, just one that works with the least maintanance. Would I wan't a HOB or one that fits in lower cabinet? Tell me what you would do. Brand names and model #berz would also help. Thanks 4 reading and thanks in advance, Lon

I had a 50 gallon hex once upon a time, and if you're running a sump, all I could find to fit in that small of a space was a bakpak in sump. Couldn't figure a way for anything else. Not my favorite skimmer now, but it worked in the hex.

jesshimom, no sump either! Do I need one of those 2? What about a canister filter of some sort or am I not "getting it yet"! Lon

I'm sure someone will pipe in soon... but do you only have one powerhead? I had 4 maxi jets in my hex... I'd definately get skimmer on there. Is there anyway to hang a bakpak or remora on the back of the hex? My hex had a built in overflow to the sump but it sounds like yours does not. If it doesn't a bakpak hang on style might fit.

You need to do something with all those fish in there and high ammonia, definately not a good mix.

Also a canister is definately no substitution for skimmer.

"Also a canister is definately no substitution for skimmer."
OK, that's the kind of info I need, keep it flowing! Yes, I do have room for a HOB skimmer. Do they make a HOB that will function properly? If so throw out some names. I see so many people buying skimmers and not being happy with them. I went to PetCo (only because it's all we have) and the guy gave me a sales pitch about biowheels. Went to the LPS only to hear there junk and I need a canister and a HOB skimmer. My head is spinning! Lon

That seems like he is just getting started in the nitrogen cycle with a three week old tank. He better start chnging lots of water to get on top of the ammonia.

Go for a remora hang on if it will fit.

Look at Reef Central and you can find a good used one for about 1/2 the price. That's where I've gotten my skimmers. Check measurements and make sure it fits first. Or, check Marine Depot or another sponsor and buy it there to save $$$.

A canister is good for running carbon and more flow but you need to clean it very routinely or else it's just going to hold all the detritus and create more problems for you.

Back