Need some advice on a MP40W ES

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Noobtosalt

I'm considering buying a MP40W ES and wanted to get some feedback about it. I currently run two Koralia powerheads in my 75 gallon but now that I've upgraded to a 120 gallon 6ft tank I'm seriously considering a Vortech. Anyone help me or make some suggestions on this. If you checkout my signature it will show you a thread of my new 120 gallon tank so you can see the return pump etc. Is one MP40 going to be enough? Is it worth getting the ES model? I really like the idea of only having 1 powerhead in the tank so I want to make this the right purchase. Should I go up to the MP60 or is that overkill?

Anyways, thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Kind of funny. The boards here I don't get an answer for an hour. My local boards I got a reply within the first ten mins. There are so many more people on these boards am I asking the wrong questions? I don't seem to get much feedback on this site when I ask questions?

AWESOME POWERHEADS im in the same situation as u (75) i just installed mp40es on friday wow what a amazing difference in the exstension on corals just from the varing flow i would say worth every penny

I don't think having one MP40 on a 120 is going to be enough if you just put one in your tank. I have both a MP40wES and a MP10 in my 72 gallon (which might be too much). I think I've read on numerous posts in forums and various websites that you can never have too much flow. If you still used your Koralias with a MP40 I think you are heading in the right direction. I'm not too sure on the MP60, I know that thing is a monster, but I haven't seen one in action. If you got a MP60 you might still need extra ph's in there to make sure you didn't have any dead spots where detritus could accumulate. One thing's for sure the vortech pumps are just beasts and pretty cool to watch (undertow action) as well as the various different operating modes. I would like to add another mp10 on my 90 and run all three in one of their EcoSmart modes. Anyways, the pumps are expensive, but worth it in my opinion. The only odd thing I don't really like about them is having the "headphone" look on the outside of your tank. I guess it is the price you pay to not have all of the heat build up or extra equipment in the tank. I'm sure there are some other vortech owners that can chime in on here with their experience with the MP's. Anyways, you won't be disappointed in the purchase no matter what size you get.

i use to have a mp40w in my 120g plenty of flow i just didnt like the noise it put out. i changed to a tunze new style 6105 and that is way too much flow i had to turn it all the way down got more water movement with the tunze and i use it on a pulse mode style with a diy controller. i will never go back to vortech i love the tunze its dead silent also. its kinds bulky for a 120g if i were you i would get 2x6055 tunze with a 7092 controller and you will have a ton of flow and you can set up a gyree style flow.

I had two MP40's on my old 60" 125 and that was good. I don't think that one on a 72" tank will be sufficient. BTW...since I upgraded to the 180 I have 3 new Tunze 6105's and one MP40 in the tank. The Tunzes are dead silent and while the Vortech isn't "noisy" you can hear it. I put the three Tunzes in a corner with the Vortech blowing behind the rocks along the back of the tank. I'm thinking that I need to raid the piggy bank and get that last Vortech replaced. Only downside so far is that I did notice an uptick in tank temp with the pumps in the water. Only a slight difference but warmer none the less.

Mike

I have two MP40ES on my 160gal 63in length on opposite ends and running reef crest mode anti-sync. Love them! Run at 75% of full power, tune them right and almost silent. Wide gentle but serious flow. You will want more than one. The 60 is quite a bit bigger seeing it in person sitting on the outside of the tank.

Well I just got a reef keeper lite with two pc4 units. I think I'm going to consider doing the tunze units. Seems to be affordable and do the same job.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Back