Need some lighting advice please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Timbo1519

Hi guys. I currently have a 125g FOWLR 60x18x24. I have a canopy as well and in the canopy I am looking at either two Coralife 4x65w retrofits = 520 watts or the Aquactinics Constellation 7x54w T5 fixture = 378watts.

I am wondering which of these two setups would be preferred and why. I have no fish at the moment, but the tank has been cycling for going on 3 months with approx 150lbs of live rock. I have two clownfish and a yellow tang sitting in my quarantine tank. The only thing I would like to have in the tank other than fish is an anemone for the clownfish.

Would either of these two senarios be enough light for an anemone? And which would be the better choice?

Any and all advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Of those I would choose the 520 watts over the 378. Watts is only a measure of heat, not actual PAR, but in this case that is my choice. I am in the middle of choosing lights for my 155 gallon bowfront reef and have found a decent t5 setup on ebay. Normally I scoff at ebay lighting as it is not UL Listed, and should they cause a fire the insurance company won't give you a dime. This 72" t5 setup (http://cgi.ebay.com/72-Aquarium-Lig...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262) is UL Listed and puts out 640 watts. I like the fact that t5's are cooler running and cost less to operate. I am also testing some led lights ( http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=809 ) to see how they will do on both my 46 and 155 bowfront reefs.

I would go with the t-5. So if you want to add sps corals later on you can without having to upgrade your lighting. Power compacts are good but not suitable for sps. You can keep soft corals with the power compacts and a variety of lps and there are some lower light sps you can keep but limited to. So go with the T-5 set-up and you will have a wider range as far as what you can do with your set-up. JMHO

Back