Need some opinions on controllers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Ok so since the time I bought my aquacontroller pro a lot has changed and now it turns out I can get certain probes for it anymore so I am at a point where I need to get a new controller. So I am looking at either going down the aquacontroller route or perhaps the Digital Aquatics unit. I have tried to talk with someone from DA but not really getting any responce. So if their any folks out thier that have some good experence in it let me know. I will put what I need to control below.

>Need the unit to be able to turn off devices and then turn others on based on temp, PH, ORP

> control lights and dimmers on certain lights

>need to control about 25 devices

> would be nice to control 240v units?

> need ph/orp/temp/conductivity probes

Mojo

Mike,

DA (as will Apex) will do all of that for you. If you want simple plug and play with probes and default programming logic, then go DA; if you want to control the programming with more rich rules, then go Apex.

My .02

(I just picked up a RKE Lite and plan on getting the .NET module. I also plan on getting an iPhone a few weeks. I noticed the app store has an app for the RK that allows one to control turnning on/off devices (ie, lights, skimmer, fans, etc.).
:D

I would never go back from having my apex. With the Apex there are drop down menus for simple programming of outlets like "Heater" Menus would then be come on temp and turn off temp. You can also select advanced and then have at it using the programming language to control that outlet....date time, temp, another outlet on or off, float switch position. If you think it you can probably program it. Also the Apex has its web server built in. Since I travel often this is vital. I can access my Apex via the internet or my smart phone app and control it, view graphs, and read the data points. You can also use a wireless webcam and access that as well so you can physically view the tank while you are away.

Mike,

By richer rules, I mean YOU have more control of the logic as you code the programming.

Seth the apex is the new version from Neptune right?? DOes it have the same commands as the aquacontroller had??

So Kirk the DA has a preset command structure?? Could you tell it to turn off a device based on PH or ORP??

Mojo

I love my apex. You can base states of any device off of the states of any other device, which can lead to a lot of control.

Only had the apex, but can't imagine why I would ever want anything else

Ok so that is sounding more like what I currently have. SO on mine you name devices, then creates states that would say something like if ph goes above X then turn off device Y/?? does that sound about the same??

MOjo

Yes, you can have things turn on or off is pH is greater than or less than certain values.

Can also have halides turn off if temp > X, then remain off for a set time before rechecking temp and rerunning the argument (to see if it is safe to turn lights back on.)

You can also base on states of other devices, such as if the temp >82 AND halides are off, shut off Submerged pump 1 and pump 2, etc.

Neptune apex is also expandable to control something like 999 outlets. You can also add more units in a chain to control as a lot of probes.

You can access all this over your smart phone with an app, or over a web page. It can sent text and/or email notifications based on alarms you set for parameters being off. It can also detect switches on the relay outlets, such as an ATO float switch or whatever.

Has seasonal charts for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset and temperatures that you can use as a basepoint of reference in the code if you want to have seasonal variation in lighting, temp, etc.

Looked up X10. Not really sure, you'd have to check the owners manual. There is an 'official' and an 'unofficial' available online. They go through all the programming, etc. Unofficial is a bit more detailed on some things.

The aquacontroller uses X10 modules for control of devices, so you would have and interface module and then plug a x10 module into a plug and then the device into that.

Mojo

So there are a couple of components.

1) the display unit that lets you access menus, has temp, pH, ORP display, etc. This has buttons on it for programming and controlling at tank (as opposed to over the internet.

2) This is the HUB if you will. Its where everything comes together. You plug the ethernet cord and probes into this. Also display unit plugs into this. Also USB to connect to your outlet strip (other outlet strips then connect in series to this first outlet strip.) If you want more probes than this has attachments for, you can add a second, third, fourth, etc. to this to expand it.

3) Outlet strip. This plugs into the hub, can also hook up more strips to his in parallel.

You can see all the mentioned parts here:
neptune apex - Google Search

then creates states that would say something like if ph goes above X then turn off device Y/??

Mike,

Yes, the DA controller can do this. I am having it turn on/off my fan based on temp probe in tank

Neptune does not recommend or support the use of X10 on the Apex. The Apex can expand out to 256 EB8 modules so that gives you 2048 controllable outlets. Mojo you are right on with teh command line code. It also reads from bottom to top still on the code until a condition is met.

From my research I have found that APEX is more programming and less plug and play than the DA product line. I have only played with and owned DA RK2 and RK Lite thus far. I did talk extensively with the DA reps at SeaMax and I can say that everything mentioned thus far about the Apex doing... The DA line up can do as well.

Things I like about the DA products...
1. Power modules are smaller which make them easier to place within tight spaces. The Apex uses the same power module as the old DA RK2 (big brick).
2. DA is very simple to program. The RK Lite I use I had programmed for 8 outlets within 15 minutes.

I should also mention that DA does have software that can be used to program their line up.

Cheers,
Alex

From my research I have found that APEX is more programming and less plug and play than the DA product line. I have only played with and owned DA RK2 and RK Lite thus far. I did talk extensively with the DA reps at SeaMax and I can say that everything mentioned thus far about the Apex doing... The DA line up can do as well.

Things I like about the DA products...
1. Power modules are smaller which make them easier to place within tight spaces. The Apex uses the same power module as the old DA RK2 (big brick).
2. DA is very simple to program. The RK Lite I use I had programmed for 8 outlets within 15 minutes.

I should also mention that DA does have software that can be used to program their line up.

Cheers,
Alex

1: The Apex does not use a "Big Brock" it draws its power off of the EB8 via a USB cable.
2: Apex has a built in web server the RKE does not....you have to buy a module.
3: The Apex has 2 built in VDM that can be used to control LEDs or Tunze. Additional VDM modules are available....the RKE does not.
4: The Apex has drop down menus to program your outlets. There is no need to use the programming language unless you are trying to make advanced chains of events.
apex.png

I had my Apex fully configured with 2 MH T5 supplement, heater, 2 float switches, ATO, Kalk Stirrer, 2 ATS lights and several email text message alarms within an hour. I also had a website I could access anywhere in the world and an Android app to control and monitor by then.

Sorry Seth. By brick I meant the EB8 8 outlet module. The DA uses a PC4 4 outlet module.

How easy is the APEX to programm without a computer? Through the head unit that is.

Back