need some opinions on what leds to get

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

T1tan360

Okay I have decided to go with LEDs. my budget is about $1100 I have it down to
Reefkoi.com
200w dimmable I was told I need 2 of them for my tank by Chris. $998.00 +shipping

boostled.com
Was told to get 2 of the mu100 units $699.98 +shipping

kessil leds 150w i would need 4 maybe 6 for my tank $1,059.96 i havent really seen good reviews on these on youtube.

AI sol i would need 6 according to their chart $2,873.94 way over budget

Making my own LEDs are not an option would be the same price and a lot more effort on my behalf. $1,286.95
another diy modularled.com looks like ill need 2x 3' kits -$1,006.00

tank dimensions are 5'x3'x2' my rockscape will be primarily in the back slight right center with more sand in the front for more swimming room so I'm not that worried about the sides getting optimum par. I'll just place lesser light demanding corals there.

I was wondering what you guys think?

I took a look at all the units you listed. The first thing I think you should ask is who makes the leds, then the drivers and optics. Their have been alot of LED folks getting into the game using much cheaper chinese LED's and then lower rated bins. Check that out first so you know what your getting into.

Mike

Just to add to what Mojo said, I'd think it would be a good idea to find out easy replacment parts are to get. I hear nightmares about people trying find parts for quick repair on alot of those China LED fixtures

Well the two you got input from are pretty much the best two that are active on this site about LED's. We also have made the decision to go LED on out new 180 and Mojo and Guerry are who we are listening to for our info. We are going a DIY build with 144 3w cree emmiters on 6 separate drivers and it's own specific lighting controller. After looking all around we saw the best power for the dollar this way. The premade fixtures seem expensive for the PAR readings you get. We have not done any testing personally. We are relying on the expertise of the ones who have. There are others here as well that know quite a lot and they may still chime in.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

FWIW - does Barrier Reef still sell the Acan Lighting LED fixtures? I saw those at SEAMAX and they put out some great light, and were quite affordable, and designed for larger tanks like yours. The problem with the AI Sols, like you see, is they are really made for the nanos, and don't put out much spread

I've also found with most plug and play LED bulb type options that you get (I run 2 PAR38s on a 25 gallon cube), they just dont have much spread - even though they quote an 80 or 60 degree spread, each bulb really only effectively lights a 10" spot directly below them.

Mojo & Guerry's points are very valid - all these lights are made in a factory somewhere - the question is, is it a quality part? They havent been around long enough for us to know if their hour usage is accurate, so all we have to go on when making a decision is build quality.

If I was shopping - Id make sure they were using 3watt LEDs, each one has a good reflector, and it has a dimmable ballast for both the white and the blue LEDs

Titan, there are alot of LED fixtures out there but IMHO only a few good ones like Acan that have the power and spread for larger tanks. I felt that since my lighting would be inside of a canopy I could build a much better unit than anything commercially available for alot less $'s. I'm at about $1200 with my Apex controller included on a 60x24 footprint using a mix of 92 3w chips ran on 7 drivers (6 dimmable), mostly Cree but with some Epistar to get additional color variance. Guerry made a really nice fixture case for his since they are visable but if its not going to be seen can much simpler.

Cheers, Todd

FWIW - does Barrier Reef still sell the Acan Lighting LED fixtures? I saw those at SEAMAX and they put out some great light, and were quite affordable, and designed for larger tanks like yours. The problem with the AI Sols, like you see, is they are really made for the nanos, and don't put out much spread

I've also found with most plug and play LED bulb type options that you get (I run 2 PAR38s on a 25 gallon cube), they just dont have much spread - even though they quote an 80 or 60 degree spread, each bulb really only effectively lights a 10" spot directly below them.

Mojo & Guerry's points are very valid - all these lights are made in a factory somewhere - the question is, is it a quality part? They havent been around long enough for us to know if their hour usage is accurate, so all we have to go on when making a decision is build quality.

If I was shopping - Id make sure they were using 3watt LEDs, each one has a good reflector, and it has a dimmable ballast for both the white and the blue LEDs

leds are extremely new to this hobby, so pretty much anything that is out there is still in the ooh and ahhh stage. nothing out there has been truly tested for years because with everything in this hobby its always changing. i remember when old timer reefers would bash leds if anyone mentioned leds on the boards they were flamed!! and now look at them jumping in on the led bandwagon.

i know china made mentioned. cree leds are manufactured in china, they do how ever have a usa plant as well, i know you guys mean well and all i understand the dynamics of circuitry and electronics so well that its my job. i simply wanted your opinons on the fixtures and how they are rated, experience, know someone who has them, maybe suggest a few other fixtures and not where they are made from. i can care less who makes them. i would rather go with a unit that has a warranty then something i make that for some reason it breaks.

i would rather go with a unit that has a warranty then something i make that for some reason it breaks.

I went with the Radion units, they are way over your budget, but i figured the extra $$ is worth the warranty, piece of mind and sick looking modules. I love how they work together wirelessly, as well as work with my MP40's wirelessly. IMO they are worth the extra money.

They have a great spread also, with one light able to produce a great amount of light covering 24"x24"x24" with enough power to grow anything you want in the tank...

Last edited:
I would buy Acan Lighting or Ecotech Radion. We have customers who have confirmed SPS growth and color under the Acan units. I would expect the same from the Radions but they haven't been out long enough to confirm yet. Yes we still sell the Acan units at MAP and they can be shipped right to your door for free! Radions are 749.00 each. Either option will go over your budget though.

Last edited:
i would try not to worry about budget as much on the lights as i would about getting the best unit i could get or build. even if it slows down your build to have to wait awhile saving cash is worth it. good lights are kind of important :)

i would try not to worry about budget as much on the lights as i would about getting the best unit i could get or build. even if it slows down your build to have to wait awhile saving cash is worth it. good lights are kind of important :)

I am aware that lights are important. Don't let my post count confuse you with my level of experience. Just because lights are extremely expensive does not mean they are quality.
I currently run a plasma light setup on my current tank the reason for LEDs now is because if I get another plasma unit the watts would equal 580 watts plus the 90w of blue LEDs I have now for supplement actinic lighting. And if I just go with LEDs my watts will go down to 400watts maybe less so for me it's an electric bill issue not quality of light

Okay I have decided to go with LEDs. my budget is about $1100 I have it down to
Reefkoi.com
200w dimmable I was told I need 2 of them for my tank by Chris. $998.00 +shipping

boostled.com
Was told to get 2 of the mu100 units $699.98 +shipping

kessil leds 150w i would need 4 maybe 6 for my tank $1,059.96 i havent really seen good reviews on these on youtube.

AI sol i would need 6 according to their chart $2,873.94 way over budget

Making my own LEDs are not an option would be the same price and a lot more effort on my behalf. $1,286.95
another diy modularled.com looks like ill need 2x 3' kits -$1,006.00

tank dimensions are 5'x3'x2' my rockscape will be primarily in the back slight right center with more sand in the front for more swimming room so I'm not that worried about the sides getting optimum par. I'll just place lesser light demanding corals there.

I was wondering what you guys think?

Quality matters.

I'm not a fan of Chinese fixtures like Eshine, Cidly, Evo or their Ebay clones. Way too many online complaints.

The quality and efficiency is simply not there. Dated LEDs, no thermal compound between the LEDs and the small heat sink, noisy fans, cheap drivers, poor customer support, the list goes on.

With a tank your size 4 AI would work well. Which is still slightly over budget but a better option than a cheap fixture.

If you DIY you will maximize quality and minimize cost. 45-55 Cree XP LEDs with optics will give you about if not more PAR than a 400 watt MH and cover and area of 36"x24" on the standard 24"x 8.5" heatsink.

Also if you DIY you have a wide range of vendors, LEDs and options like soldered, solderless or strips. Most companies do not specifically Bin their LEDs but if you DIY you can choose the best Bins for the best looks, efficiency and growth.

Bill

Back