need to find a good lfs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

thelitone

hey all, im moving to tacoma near the tacoma dome. does anyone know of a good lfs close by. i used to live by barrier, i hope to find a place that is somewhat comprable. i have not heard of any lfs's in tacoma, just awsome hobbiests:D

ummm Barrier....lol seriously it's the nicest.

There is aquarium paradise and indoor Reef but I don't think they compare at all.

Welcome to the area, I moved down here at the end of April / beginning of May. I've been to Indoor Reef a couple times just because it was close. Sadly, I've never once walked in there and been impressed. The tanks are usually quite dirty although they've had some interesting livestock the times I was there. Judging by the condition of the tanks, and from a bad experience I had with a purchase, I would not buy livestock from them again.

I purchased a sea apple from them that they said was healthy and had been under observation in the store for a week or two (dunno if it was Paul or someone else) but it ended up having a parasitic pea crab in it that ate through the side and it almost killed my entire tank. That incident happened 3 months after purchasing it, so I figured nothing could be done and went to buy another. Same thing happened. Based on feedback from the people at WetWeb Media and Reef Central it is extremely rare to find a sea apple with parasitic pea crab (usually only found in cucumbers). Since I was at a two-for-two with parasite-ridden livestock (also had a mated pair of harlequin shrimp from Indoor Reef die after two weeks, and the "replacements" from a shop in Burien are still doing fine to this day) I've never been back there. The sea apple I got from barrier reef was perfectly healthy, and was in my tank for 6 months and noticeably growing and thriving until the point where I gave it to a friend of mine for his tank. It's still doing well (about 9 months since original purchase).

I admit the possibility that my tanks had other issues that caused the deaths in the case of the shrimp (even though the replacement pair is still doing fine over a year later in the same tank) but the parasitic crabs causing the death of the two sea apples is just too much of a coincidence. That is not necessarily the store's fault (most likely the supplier has parasite problems), but I'd rather make the extra drive to buy at Barrier where I have never had a single problem in the two years I've been buying livestock from them. I've got no personal experience with Aquarium Paradise, but have heard mixed reviews from here about lack of knowledge in their employees and "variable" pricing. Run a search, it should be easy to find the thread since it was pretty recent.

Back