Need to make pre-drilled tank saltwater ready

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

malvarez

Hi have this 55g (glass) tank (see pic of bottom) that is already drilled and I want to use it for saltwater fish. All the drilled saltwater tanks that I've seen have all the wholes in the back, but this one has 2 in the middle and one in the corner. My question is how can I setup this tank having those 2 wholes in the center. It currently has no overflow boxes, just the wholes.

Please help, :confused:
Maria

Put a capped bulkhead in the 2 in the middle and build an overflow for the other in the corner. Or, use the 2 in the middle and make a center overflow depending on how far apart they are. Or, make a closed loop and use all 3.

Hi have this 55g (glass) tank (see pic of bottom) that is already drilled and I want to use it for saltwater fish. All the drilled saltwater tanks that I've seen have all the wholes in the back, but this one has 2 in the middle and one in the corner. My question is how can I setup this tank having those 2 wholes in the center. It currently has no overflow boxes, just the wholes.

Please help, :confused:
Maria

If it were me, I would put in a corner overflow. You would still need to drill at least one more hole though for the back-up drain, or 2 more holes if you want your return to come back up through your overflow. The 2 holes in the center could be used for a closed loop, but they are in an awkward spot. You would have to be willing to work around them for your aquascaping and that might present some challenges. If it were me, I'd get a piece of glass cut and silicone it over the 2 holes and then have the closed loop holes drilled elsewhere if you are planning to use a CL at some point.

I was thinking of using the one in the corner for a return, and the other two for the overflow. I know the set up is weird, but the tank was free. I didn't realize more wholes were needed

I was thinking of using the one in the corner for a return, and the other two for the overflow. I know the set up is weird, but the tank was free. I didn't realize more wholes were needed

That would work if you want to install a center over flow box. that leaves you having to work around it though for aquascaping and in a 55, you need all the real estate you can get. I think the really important question here though is, what do you want to put in the tank? Fish only? Fish with live rock? Reef tank with SPS? Once you determine that, it will make your choices easier. And you're in the right place to research all the choices/options.

Here is a link on closed loop. It shows you one for an un-drilled tank, but will give you an idea of what a closed loop is. You can also search this site as well:
http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

I would run PVC from the two holes in the middle in a manner you could stack your live rock around it so the the PVC is in the center of the stack of live rock. figure out your design and drill a few 3/8th holes in it. every couple inches. then pipe it down to a strong pump and plum it back up to the back of the tank to where ever you want drill couple holes in the back. look at some peoples closed loops here to get a idea. i have 2 intake stands like i mentioned with the holes in um and that will suck any trapped debris from around the rocks and spit it back out on the return into the main column giving it a chance to get into your filtration. ill try to post some pics of mine in the process of the build. but just read read read read and see what ether people have done event google closed loop live rock stands. once you drill its there and you don't really wanna Swiss chess these tanks to much. but like i said read cause there's a lot of good info her these guys and galls no there tanks. i got bags and bags of fittings to to spare. if you need im a plumber and i keep all my exstras

Back