Need to set up an ATO

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

IPisces

I guess I really need to set up an ATO system. I forget to top off the tank in the morning and by evening when I get home it needs about 2 gals to bring it back to the normal level. The tank is only a 55 with a 20 gal sump. I have limited space in the stand. Well pretty much no space. I can put one next to the stand and conceal it some way but my question is, which route to go. Gravity feed or pump.

I have seen it mentioned also, to have a backup float switch. I am assuming these switches are ran inline. And thinking about it now, I am not sure how to do this:doubt:

What is the typical set up for an ATO.

Thanks

i was thinking of getting the tunze system which uses a laser eye level switch includes the pump and you can just use a bucket or rubbermaid container next to the tank. Im not sure exactly how to run everything either though and am wondering how to tie a kalk reactor into the mix.

i was thinking of getting the tunze system which uses a laser eye level switch includes the pump and you can just use a bucket or rubbermaid container next to the tank. Im not sure exactly how to run everything either though and am wondering how to tie a kalk reactor into the mix.

I am looking at a spectrapure Liquid Level Controller, as well as a LiterMeter this weekend. I dont mind dosing. I have a schedule for that but at 4:30 in the morning when I am leaving for work and trying to pack for the day I have forgotten a number of times to top off the tank. I dont get home till after 6 pm and the I would think that it would be better for all inhabitants to have a slow and consistant top off than have alot of FW added at one time. Of course I do it slowly in the sump so it mixes with the tank water before going back into the tank.

Back