needle wheel skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

I am in the middle of changing skimmers on one of my tanks and I think I may want to try a good needle wheel recirculating skimmer I just want to know some good brands and stores to but them any hep would be great!!!

Matt

I am in the middle of changing skimmers on one of my tanks and I think I may want to try a good needle wheel recirculating skimmer I just want to know some good brands and stores to but them any hep would be great!!!

Matt

euro reef are good skimmer and good price to. now they have the new RC skimmer with the eheim pump .

you can buy it direct or at premium aquatics , marine depot...

Price range is an important factor. Deltec's are nice but seem to be very pricey. Octopus makes nice ones too, at a much more friendly price but they have a large footprint.

You might want to look into the new ATI Bubblemaster threadwheel skimmers. Think I am going to get me one of those.

My picks for great Needle wheel skimmers are H&S #1 ATI and Shuran are Great and tie for #2 Then Euro reef. All are great skimmers, and all are in different price ranges.

If I were to pic one it would definitely be an H&S, if I couldn't get that I'd take a Shuran.

the ATI will not be with the treadwheel. they will be with other pump like the tunze skimmer use. i order the bm250 in august and still wait for it.
meantime i modify my skimmer pump like the treadwheel and the result was very impressive what i get now in my collection cup in one day i didn't get in a week with the regular impeller. and i pull air about 22l/min .

the ati IS a new thread wheel pump but not recirc. only insump right now so that would rule them out.

ok, how is this for what I need,
tank is 150 total volume, skimmer can be up to 50'' tall and foot print can be 12'' square
price range I am not sure of but under 500 would be nice!!

Matt

recirc- under 500 you have two options. octopus or DIY. the biggest octo- dnw 200 is 8inch tube by 29 inches tall. plenty to skim a good 180. For a price comparison the small (4 inch tube) H+S recirc is 459 at fins reef. the same size octo is 200ish. granted the h+s are better. For an h+S you would need the 6 inch by 26inch which is $650. If you can go insump I would strongly recomend the ATI which you can find locally here in Wa at Barrier Reef and online at Reefgeek.

or if you want you can modify your impelller and get better performance (twice even more then you have now) it's the chipest way and it's work.

here is the skim result in 24 hour with my modify pump :

pic.php
[/URL][/IMG]

and here is the reading with the flow meter:

pic.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
recirc- under 500 you have two options. octopus or DIY. the biggest octo- dnw 200 is 8inch tube by 29 inches tall. plenty to skim a good 180. For a price comparison the small (4 inch tube) H+S recirc is 459 at fins reef. the same size octo is 200ish. granted the h+s are better. For an h+S you would need the 6 inch by 26inch which is $650. If you can go insump I would strongly recomend the ATI which you can find locally here in Wa at Barrier Reef and online at Reefgeek.

I just read where they are making some bigger octopus skimmers.
10" and 12" tube dia.

yes they are the Canadian distributors have had them for a few weeks now but they are still hard to get.

or if you want you can modify your impelller and get better performance (twice even more then you have now) it's the chipest way and it's work.

here is the skim result in 24 hour with my modify pump :

pic.php
[/URL][/IMG]

and here is the reading with the flow meter:

pic.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Which impeller are you talking about modding?

It's nice that Octopus is making the larger diameter skimmers, but thats going to impact its price. Through Laird and Calsak, my price difference between 8" tube and 12" tube is $30 a foot!

If you want to see an Octopus skimmer in action, Eric has one on the shark tank at the Sharkreef. It was dirstributed through PCI and is this model:
RPS-3000 Recirculating Protein Skimmer with Needle wheel impeller. 7.8" Diameter 29.64" High for aquariums up to 400.
Footprint 9" x 21"

I think the 400 gallon capacity is a horrible overrating but It should be fine for upto a 300 gal reef. The shark tank is 700 gallons but doesn't have anywhere near the bio-load of a reef tank.

This one is 6" diameter:
RPS-2000 Recirculating Protein Skimmer 5.85" Diameter 26.52" Tall with needle wheel impeller for aquariums up to 185 gallons
Footprint 7" x 15"

Both are pretty economic and are low maintenance.

you can modify any wheel impeller with the mesh material and you will get a skim result that you never have before it's easy and i test it on sedra pump eheim pump and gen x pump . so if you have today pump that you not happy from your skimming result you can modify the pump and get better result.

here is the link for my mod :

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=944566&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

here is a link on dart pump mod with the mesh :

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=950690

i will attest to magvi's dls/enkamat and rolands gutter guard thread wheel mods as well, it's the dopest thing to happen in skimmers for a while, and super easy to do, the only thing with any of the impellar mods is that everything has to be exactly balanced weight and distribution of material otherwise the impellar is unbalanced and doesnt work properly. if you've never done one before, or are a diy noob it could be slightly tricky, but still pretty easy. and the results are freakin awesome!!

btw, my vote for skimmers for your tank would be either the euroreef rs250:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...OD&Product_Code=EURO-RS250&Category_Code=EURO

or the ati bubble master 200:
http://www.atiaquaristik.com/index.php?id=95,0,0,1,0,0&hashID=3dda9d07def11e5acb567693248584c5

both of those skimmers are $500 or slightly less

Last edited:
It's nice that Octopus is making the larger diameter skimmers, but thats going to impact its price. Through Laird and Calsak, my price difference between 8" tube and 12" tube is $30 a foot!

If you want to see an Octopus skimmer in action, Eric has one on the shark tank at the Sharkreef. It was dirstributed through PCI and is this model:
RPS-3000 Recirculating Protein Skimmer with Needle wheel impeller. 7.8" Diameter 29.64" High for aquariums up to 400.
Footprint 9" x 21"

I think the 400 gallon capacity is a horrible overrating but It should be fine for upto a 300 gal reef. The shark tank is 700 gallons but doesn't have anywhere near the bio-load of a reef tank.

This one is 6" diameter:
RPS-2000 Recirculating Protein Skimmer 5.85" Diameter 26.52" Tall with needle wheel impeller for aquariums up to 185 gallons
Footprint 7" x 15"

Both are pretty economic and are low maintenance.

I have the 8 inch recirc on my 75 gallon and it is solid build. I dont think the price of tubing is the same for these guys since they build in China. but yes the 6inch would be ok for a 150 but I still only rate the 8inch at a heavy 180 and light 220.

Back