Neptune Controller Questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaH2O

I've been looking at purchasing the AquaController Jr. Here is a link to it: AquaController Jr.

Can someone explain how the unit controls the electricity to the equipment? I'm trying to figure this out. Without a controller, you plug into an outlet. So, this may seem really dumb, but where do I plug into? For example: this unit can turn a chiller on and off....how does it do that? I know you preset the temperature, but how does it turn it on and off? Do these questions make sense? Where do you plug into?

Nikki,

I dont know anything about this controller, but I can tell you pretty much whatever you want to know about X-10. This is how it goes about turning devices off and on.

Don

X-10 is a very old PLC (power line carrier) technology. Simply put you need one transmitter (Aquacontroller) and a receiver for each item that is controlled. The transmitter is set to a specific house code a,b,c....... The receivers are set to the same house code and a individual unit code 1-13. The transmitter is plugged into a wall outlet. Each receiver is plugged into a wall outlet, the controlled device is plugged into the receiver.

For example: Your halide (HC-a UC-1) schedule is 8am to 6pm the x10 signals would be.

x10 a1 on at 8am
x10 a1 off at 6pm
The transmitter is programmed by the user to send these signals.

If there is any sort of logic functions used then the transmitter can do complex operation.

If temp=83 then x10 a-1 off then x10 a-2(fan)on.
These can be as complex as the transmitter will allow. My personal opinion is that that system is to limiting (not programable) and if one function fails you may be in trouble. For total x-10 controll I use and recommend http://www.appdig.com/adicon_new/ocelot.htm. Many times more flexible.

Don

Last edited:
I don't know much about x-10 but I have the DC4 powerstrips I am using for my AQII. I like them alot. I think it helps cut down on some of the equipt. around the tank. I think w/ the JR.you can measure PH & temp so you will have these 2 probes going to your sump or you can have the ph probe controlling ph on a calcium reactor w/ a selonoid valve.With my DC4's each outlet (4 per strip) has it's own ID (A1,A2,B1,B2 and so on). The signals are carried from the controller to the powerstrip via phone line that is supplied w/ the DC4's. i had to go to the Neptune site to see the DC4's as at the time I bought mine none of the vendors were advertising them. I also called Curt direct and he was very helpful w/ helping me make my decisions on wich unit to buy. If you call him ask about the differences between the AQjr & the AQII. I think the price on the AQII's have come down some w/ the introduction of the AQIII.
Take Care,
Chad

Thanks guys! Believe it or not, Don - that explaination made sense. Chad - thanks for talking about the DC4s, too. I saw them on the website.

Another question, I read about noise filters on a different thread. How do you know if you need noise filters or not?

For those interested in what the difference is between the different units, here is a comparison: AquaController Comparison

OK So I dug it up outa the abyss.

I am considering one of these and would like someinput on the jr. I would have to buy the base then add probes to it right? I dont want to use the X-10's I would like to use the 8 plug thing with it and that woudl be extra also if i am reading it right correct?

Thanks

any of controller are good,,except when it came to x-10,,controlled by,,always problem with interference ,,not to function properly,,missed to turn the light on or not to turn the chiller off,etc,it can be disaster,,so just be aware,,i am encounter with that problem(cure still not 100% with noise filter) still fighting for it sometimes.

Stang69 - take a peek at Marine Depot's website Neptune Systems - Aquacontroller. You can see the breakdown of what the extras are. The Jr. comes with the base unit and temp probe. I'm not sure about the 8-plug thing....is that the direct connect 4s? I think you have to purchase those separate.

hey Nikki,

I noticed on http://www.neptunesys.com/products.htm that they are now selling a combo for the Aquacontroller Jr. You can get the DC-8 which is the 8 plug in module version of the power adapter and the AquaController Jr. for 249.00. It's under the Combos on the Order tab.

DC8.gif

Nikki:

Deviant minds must think alike as I have been seriously looking into these things lately. I came home one day and my chiller was completely off. The power cable came off the breaker and it cut the power. The temp was 87 degrees. I realized that day I wished I had something that would turn a lot of things off in case something bad happened like this.

Owning one of these things to just turn things on and off is a pure waste of money as your el cheapo walmart timers do the same for a small fraction of the cost. There are also many many programs and other controllers on the web that are far cheaper too. The only limiting factor to all of them is the fact that you cannot monitor things like pH, temperature, and ORP with them!! If it was not for those things, I would just get a program and run everything from my computer.

The other thing besides interferance that I see witht he AC is that you need a x-10 module for every single appliance to control, so money adds up there too. I looked at the controller and what I want comes to the mid $300's with the AC2, but it will take another $250+ in x-10 modules LOL.........

well it depends on where you buy your x-10 modules. i bought 20 x-10 appliance modules for 30.00 on e-bay. so you really only need to buy the control module.

Did you buy the prone x-10 modles? The cheapest I could find was like $16 each!

prone?

i bought the x-10 pro appliance modules. they are the standard white ones with x-10 on the face with a PRO logo next to it. i bought them about a year ago.

Thanks guys im gonna have to see what the paycheck looks like this month and may buy one. I myself think it would be a good investment. I was also considering the reefkeeper but it doesnt do the PH. decisions desionns

Jeff

Back