Neptune Systems AquaController 3 help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

onehawksfan

Got Reef-er?
I have a AquaController 3 and a Direct Connect 8 Module that I have yet to setup on my system. I'm trying to understand the pros and cons of using such controllers. Here's my setup so far:

Two 100 gallon displays sharing a 75 gallon live rock sump/macro-algae refugium. One display is a mixed reef tank and the other is SPS only. I am running five 250 watt IceCap MH. I also have a Korallin C-1502 Calcium Reactor I have yet to setup. I am planning to get an AquaC EV240 with Mag Drive 18, Red Sea AquaZone or Aqua Medic Ozonizer, Pinpoint Calcium and Pinpoint Salinity monitors. Here comes the questions:

Q1: I've been reading that people say these controllers are not "safe" and that they can fail. Anybody have this happen to you? What can you do to safeguard against catastrophic failure? I was planning on using the controller to monitor and control the calcium reactor (pH), ozonizer (ORP), and lights on/off cycle. Are other controllers better? why?

Q2: I've seen so-called commercial light timers at an indoor garden/hydroponics store. Has anybody had success with these for their aquarium lights? or should the controller work just fine?

Q3: The AquaC EV240 has a "John Guest" fitting which can be used with ozone or a calcium reactor. Does anybody have experiences good or bad with this skimmer setup?

Q4: Has anybody had success with AquaNotes (aquarium management software)? or can suggest something similar?

Q5: Last question (for now): They sell "standard grade" and "lab grade" pH and ORP probes. Is it worth the bucks to get the "lab grade'?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Q1: I have seen all of them fail, but also have known many to last years and years. Constant monitoring will be required.

Q2: Use the Controller it will work fine.

Q3:Never ran Ozone myself, But the AC3 does run Calcium reactors.

Q4:Aquanotes full blown program is excellant, you can monitor everything from a PC ore website. Great Program.

Q5: Lab Grade probes have much better testing parameters. They are designed to lab specs. Where standard probes are less. I feel it well worth the extra bucks.

My opinion is just that an Opinion. There maybe others that have a whole other point of view.

I'm contemplating buying another one. Does anyone have a suggestion for something that works better? or should I just go with this kind again?

Back