Neutralize erythromycin for disposal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rayjay

I have pails of water stored from treating a fish in a Q tank. I used Maracyn erythromycin and don't want to dump it without treating to neutralize the antibacteria. Can I use bleach to do this? If not, what can I do with it?
I don't want to be helping bacteria mutate to be resistant to erythromycin.
Thanks

I dont think I would worry about it. I'd just pour it down the drain. If I went to the doctor or dentist and got a prescription you can count on the the fact its not going to stop me from using the toilet.

Don

Thanks for the reply.
However, I just don't want to add to the problems that are already causing resistant strains of bacteria.

it won't..if you dump it , depending on your waste disposal..it either goes into a septic or gets dilluted in the sewer.
you stand a better chance of developing a resistant strain in your closed systems...

if you are really all that worried pour/strain it thru a bag of activated carbon.

I'm sorry, but I do worry about it. There are enough news stories on the topic of problematic antibiotic resistant strains being developed.
Waste treatment plants don't neutralize antibiotics as far as I've been led to believe.
IMO, if dosed properly, in a closed system (tank) then the bacteria should be killed off, not develop resistant strains.
Also IMO, diluted, in the sewers, the antibiotic only exposes itself to the bacteria, and doesn't kill it off.
Treatment with carbon removes the antibiotic from the water, but then needs to be properly disposed of for the same reasons.

Back