NEVER get a Clarkii Clown if you have other mild clowns

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peng

Banned
I just finished putting ALL of my corals back to the aquarium, after putting ALL of the rocks back. Corals along I have 52 kinds of them. My hands are basically covered with glue.

But I got the Clarkii out of the DT. Honestly, at that point, even grinding it into meat juice wouldn't make me forgive it.

It's a monster in my tank. It attacks my false percular clowns, pushing them on the surface of the water for 2 months. Well, I tolerated that.

Then, it abandoned its big huge long-tentacle anemone and "hosted" on my green goniopora, making it back to a stone !? I was like, no, I've got no option but pulling it out. Actually one month ago I tried to get it out but it was too smart. Today I made the decision, no matter how hard it is, get that fish out.

Now every thing was changed. I have no idea where to put those corals. A lot of them just on sand bed and some randomly on rocks.

I would use my experience to seriously give other reefers this reference. If you have mild clown fishes, or some corals reported to be prone for clown fishes to host, don't get a clarkii!!! They are very aggressive, territorial, smart N fast that once you put them in, when you regret,,,,IMO

I've done those kinds of bad decisions for several times.
Some people put flame angels in with SPS and complain why their SPS not putting polyps out. Some people like trigger fishes and got their clams eaten.

I once put a filefish in the tank and found out that it was not reef safe. Then I "rebuilt" the whole tank. Then I had a yellow longnose and it was always reef safe until I got Acropora Tenius, but that fish was easy to get out. Today I finally "rebuilt" the whole tank again to get that clarkii out.

Now I only have one blue tang, one kole tang and two false percular clonwfishes in my tank and I don't worry anymore. Right after the Clarkii was pulled out, two false perculars were finally able to swim to middle and bottom level of the tank. Everyone is peaceful with each other.

I would say, if you really like corals, and you have a variety of them, be VERY VERY careful when you choose what fish to go in. You may really like that fish and want to try out by 50-50,,,better not to do that. Especially middle-smaller fishes, once in, very hard to pull them out. I think if I was gonna add any new fish, which I don't think that can happen soon because all of those mess, I would just want to add a yellow tang, a royal gramma, and possibly some chromis and that's it. No more "aggressive" or "50-50" anymore...

Also, for fish choosing, you'd rather wait until you figure out your plan for corals and get them. Don't rush, I mean, seriously. You have the money, and it's not gonna perish if you don't use it. Think clearly before you buy the fish. If you decide that you will never get any other clown fishes then you can probably get a Clarkii, otherwise wait and make a smart decision.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401088522.088443.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i had a pair of clarki clownfish. they are mean. every time i put my hand into the tank they would try to attack my hand. no good. they got traded in at local fish store.

i had a pair of clarki clownfish. they are mean. every time i put my hand into the tank they would try to attack my hand. no good. they got traded in at local fish store.

They are very aggressive to other kinds of clown fishes, as if the whole tank belong to them.

Back