New Additions! Modem burners!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

subgenius13

Just thought I's share some pictures of some new additions to my reef. I have been going to a really good LFS that suits my needs. I don't always have the $$ to shell out for large coral pieces, and this place is very good at having frag-size specimens of their softies. So I picked up 2 small frags of Green Star Polyps, 2 peppermint shrimp, and a nice Ricordia for about 50$. I have been very happy with the way my tank has been maturing, and hope by keeping the fish load low, that I can have a nice collection of soft corals. Thanks for looking, and any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Brad

Very nice, Brad! Love the Ricordia! Can you post some specs of your system?

Interesting color on the Briarium. I would caution on where you place it though. If you thought GSP grew fast, this stuffs like algae on steroids. :eek:

Mine grows a few inches monthly. Nice money maker for fragging though. :cool:

Cheers
Steve

I love the ric! I used to have one very similar, but it detached from a rock one day and I never found it.... Your rock has some nice color too!

BTW. Just curious... Where are you from in OH??? I grew up in Columbus... ;)

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Nikki, my general tank specs are :
44g Pent show tank w/single outlet overflow
30g long 3 chamber sump w/refugium
Knop HOB skimmer in sump along with heater
25lbs of base rock and 45lbs of show rock- (the show rock was used to cycle tank)
I custom built my return with pvc and 4 retun nozzles, and also run 3 powerheads for circulation.
Here is a pic of my show tank:

The livestock right now include what I just pictured plus:
10 astrea snails
5 Nassarius snails
2 Scarlet Hermit crabs
I also have a clownfish that is in quarantine for Ich treatment

It's not a very large tank, and I am trying to make a nice softie tank that will be light on fish.

Thanks for the advice Steve. I was looking at where I had placed that piece. Is flow more important than light for the Briarium? I have some smaller rocks that I might want to move that to.
I appreciate all the compliments on the corraline algae growth. I try to encourage the growth as much as I can. I also have some maroon coming in. I'm hoping to add a hammer or bubble coral at some point. I know those are considered LPS, but I think I might be capable if my lighting is sufficient.
Becky, I am from the Cleveland area, but I spent some time down in Jeffersonville, so I am fairly familiar with the Columbus area. As a matter of fact I used to drive up to Dublin to go to the pet store, and that was long before they built the mall up there.
Anyway folks, thanks again, and here are a few more pictures I took tonight:

I really like how you have the circulation set-up.

From my experience, Briarium loves turbulent water flow and will grow much faster and healthier than in a low flow or laminar flow system. As for ighting, it will adapt to a wide variety of intensity/depths.

From the pic you posted, I would take the large branch piece on the left and stand it upright. Place the Briarium on the smaller arm of the same piece. This will accomplish two goals. It will not spread to the rest of the tank (very important) and it will grow upwards and outwards for the most part making it easy to frag when necessary.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the advice Steve. I think I will take care of that this weekend. I'll post some pics after I make the change. Right now I am keeping an eye on my button polyps to make sure the Peppermint Shrimp isn't bothering them. There was one that was looking a little distressed yesterday. I fed the shrimp some shrimp (Wow, talk about eating your own kind!), and they went after the brine right away. I haven't been feeding the tank since there hasn't been any fish in it. Has is been anybody's experience that the shrimp will leave your polyps alone if given an alternative? I haven't actually witnessed the peppermint bothering them, but I am suspicious. I know that some people use them to battle Aptasia, and my polyps are about that size and shape. I tested my water this morning just to make sure that there wasn't something out of whack, but all my tests came back normal, and none of the other inverts are showing signs of stress. Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble.
Brad

Personally I've never been a big fan of peppermints on a long term/permanent basis. They are just as opportunitic as the next crustacean. You can definately curtail "snacking" if well fed otherwise. I find they are moreso an issue with zoo's and mini/giant dusters. They will haphazardly pick at soft coral polyps but don't do any damage other than irritate them some.

On the flip side, they are definately a god send when it comes to aiptasia.

Cheers
Steve

Briarium

Hi is there anybody out there who can help me please. I bought a lovely acropora about three months ago which had some interesting growth on it which I now understand to be brown briarium.Basically it has overtaken my tank and is growing rapidly. I have taken some of the live rock out and scrubbed it with a brush but to no avail is there anything I can do to get rid of it either living that can eat it or something to add to the water many thanks Bexlee.

Welcome to RF bexlee! :D As for your question, I'm not too sure on the answer :eek:pps: However, this thread is over a year old and may not get much replies/responses so maybe you can start up a new thread in the general section. Good luck and hope you enjoy the forum :)

Back