new and trying to get started!!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gfoster1983

my name is geoff and i live in tacoma, i am working on getting a reef system set up. i am setting up a 75 gallon tank that i was lucky enough to get for free. i am trying to do this as cheap as i can as i am a new father and getting married in june so money is tight. i am taking donations of rock and sand if anyone knows of any. the other thing i was wondering about is i have been seeing video of people making there own live rock and i am woundering what people think about it. is it a good idea or should i stick with my original plan and try to get some rock. im not doing hard corals just softies and non aggresive fish. if anyone has any sugestions on anything to help me start this it would be greatly appritiated. i feel like all i do is read anything i can on line and try to do as much reserch as i can but information from others who have been thier and done that is great. another question i have is how much light do i need and what is a good lighting system for my tank, i want to do T5 lights. my tank dementions ar 48" long, 18" deep and 22" tall.

diy rock is great other that the 4 week cureing period. no hichhikers. u will have to eventually seed tank with coraline and start the cycle differently since dry rock wont cause or start a cycle. i have all the stuff here to make 100lbs of rock. u are welcome to come overr and talk reef for awhile. and give me a offer for supplies. im home all day everyday.

hey Geoff. the cool thing about the man made rock is you get to form it how you would like. in time as your coral grow you wont see the rock. when i do my rock work i like to make as many caves as i can so the fish can dip in and out of all the caves. its like a puzzle when you put all your rock work together. you have my cell number so call or text me anytime.

Back