New Aquamaxx HOB-1 with my Nano Cube

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Luckedout

For my birthday I was able to pick my present and decided I needed a new skimmer for my nano cube. I read lots of reviews on different types of skimmers and finally decided to go with the Aquamaxx HOB-1. I didn't want to modify the back of my cube at all, but I wanted a large skimmer and this one seemed to fit the bill. I also heavily considered the Eshoppes PSK75 HOB but I didn't like the fact that the motor was on the outside (noise) and there was more risk of overflowing onto the carpet. With the Aquamaxx the motor is in the skimmer and they have a drain that prevents overflow.

Anyways, here's a few pictures of the skimmer and a video of how it's working.

Well packaged from Marine Depot

IMAG0045 by Luckedout26, on Flickr

IMAG0048 by Luckedout26, on Flickr

IMAG0050 by Luckedout26, on Flickr

Here it is assembled.

IMAG0070 by Luckedout26, on Flickr

IMAG0069 by Luckedout26, on Flickr

It is a beautiful looking piece of equipment. Very well made. Very sturdy and all the parts fit together well. At this point I don't have a lot of complaints.

Here is the space I have to fit the skimmer. Hope it works!

IMAG0074 by Luckedout26, on Flickr

Perfect!

IMAG0075 by Luckedout26, on Flickr

Here it is from the front. Doesn't stick up too much back there which I like.

IMAG0076 by Luckedout26, on Flickr

I didn't have to modify the tank at all. I just had to turn the drain a little but they both fit in the same chamber!

IMAG0079 by Luckedout26, on Flickr

IMAG0081 by Luckedout26, on Flickr

Here it is fired up for the first time!

IMAG0087 by Luckedout26, on Flickr

Ok, so with any HOB skimmer flooding the carpet is a risk. I am in an apartment right now and so I worried about this quite a bit. Well Aquamaxx thought of that and it's a good thing. I was playing with it and didn't realize that the collection cup was filling with water, potential disaster!

IMAG0088 by Luckedout26, on Flickr

I imagine you could put a tube on this and drain it to a bucket as well, but this is how it was designed and it worked really well. It was doing this for about 30 minutes before i realized it and no water on the floor!

Well that's it for pictures. Here is a little video of it running for 1 day. You can see some nice watery skimmate. Check out that bubble action!

YouTube - ‪Aquamaxx HOB-1 in action‬‏

I'll update this later on, but so far I'm pretty happy with my choice. This has been a good buy and so far I recommend it. Hope this helps if you're looking for more info on this skimmer, because I know there isn't a lot of info out there yet.

Back