New arrivals and territory problems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

phixer

Whats the best way to introduce several fish of the same species at the same time and deal with the sharp bio-load spike?

If I introduce them one at a time, then I deal with territorial fighting or bullying. If I introduce them all at once then I deal with the potential spike in the bio-load.

Id prefer to introduce them all at once.

what type of fish are they?
how big is the tank?
what fish are currently in the tank ?
what type of skimmer do you have?

I normally turn off my lights for at least 4 hrs, rearrange live rock (if possible); I have also place a fish net in the tank.

Thanks! I was looking at 4 Heniochis (spelling) maybe 3 yellow tangs, and some other schooling fish. The tanks size should work out to be about 672 gallons when completed. Hard to say what the stock will be since I havent started the tank yet and was trying to figure out how to stock it. Skimmer is an ETSS 1800 a friend gave me.

Thanks a lot for the help!

OK, a revised plan from me.

I would FIRST write out your livestock list of the fish to be added
I would SECOND add skiddish or timid fish first and then territorial fish last (the henioch and tangs fall into this category).

adding 3-5 fish at a time is not going to be a problem the size tank you have, however, stagger adding new fish to the tank to every 4 wks..this gives the tank time to catch up with the biolad

OK, I like Cowfish too. Going to get started on this list now and do a little more research to what fish on the list fall into which catagory. Copy that, space new additions about 4 weeks apart. This is good gouge, thanks again. Now I know which direction to go in. Cool!

a comment about Cowfish...they are poisionous and when will secrete this poision in the tank when threatened or when they die...I will research this carefully before adding to the tank (need to understand the risks with this fish).

Kirk,
Since this thread is dealing with adding a bunch of fish at one time to an established system.
What do you think about adding 4-5 Banner Fish approx 2''-3'' each, all at one time to a 180gal DT. total 320gal system???

What do you think about adding 4-5 Banner Fish approx 2''-3'' each, all at one time to a 180gal DT. total 320gal system

Dave,

How many fish are currently in the tank?

There will be two clowns, one pygmy angle, two cardinal fish and one yellow clown gobbie.
I am planning out my stocking list for my 180.
Just wondering if I am able to add all the banner fish at one time?? Or in sets??

I would think all at once is OK..I assume these will be the last one added??

Thanks for the feed back Kirk,
Yea they would be the last added. After the tank has stabilized I would transfer all the fish listed above from my AIO. Then order the banner fish. six week Qt. Then add BF to the rest of the large tank livestock.

Back