NEW ASM Mini

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I was looking at that too; and am waiting for their recommendations on tank size. When I looked they hadn't decided that yet.

yeah it looks like it would be perfect for a nano, one with a sump anyway,
the aquapod in the raffle next month comes with the new current fission nano skimmer if im not mistaken. but i think im getting one of these asm mini 's for a xmas gift. i'll let you guys know how i like it.
i think for $100 it would be great on a 29g!

jesshimom said:
How are those tangs, ED? winking... :)
They are doing awesome, winking...

Skimmerwhisper,
Please let us know how well it works when you get one. I am concerned the price will go up a little on these.:)

probably wont go up in price, the pump they are using isnt a sedra, instead it's the much cheaper gen-x 1000 w/ needlewheel. probably doesnt cost them more than $10-15 bucks when they buy a pallet of them, and they probably pay half that for the plastic skimmer bodies, so hopefully the price will stay around $100. this is a good move for them because the g1 is a p.o.s., the body is way too big for the size pump they put on it(sedra 2500)
which is roughly equilvelent to the gen-x 1000 they use on the new one, except now the body is much smaller and it's half the cost. they are using the cheaper pump, but from what i've heard gen-x has addressed the major problems with their submersible pump, ie: stainless steel plate that was rusting behind back cover and stainless steel sleeve arount the impellar magnet. i'll be curious to look at the pump when it arrives:)
also, custom aquatic is calling it the asm baby g and rating it for 75g, so that means about 35-40g imo.
first thing im gonna do is take the elbow off and conect pump directly to skimmer body, instant 20% increase in performance!!
i wonder if they will offer it with a sedra 2500 upgrade? you can pick one up for $60 at custom aquatic, i might just do that when i get some extra cash.

Last edited:
I do not think they will ever off ther Mini with a Sedra 2500, the plumbing is different sizes. The pump with the Mini has a 1/2 in output, I think the 2500 is 3/4.

The Mini is all injection molded, this is something new for All Seas Marine. All of their other skimmers have bodies made of extruded PVC. In talking with them, they may end up spending the money to have molds made for all of their skimmers and make everything injection molded. We will have to wait and see.

Rob
www.ASMSkimmer.com

skimerwhisperer said:
probably wont go up in price, the pump they are using isnt a sedra, instead it's the much cheaper gen-x 1000 w/ needlewheel. probably doesnt cost them more than $10-15 bucks when they buy a pallet of them, and they probably pay half that for the plastic skimmer bodies, so hopefully the price will stay around $100. this is a good move for them because the g1 is a p.o.s., the body is way too big for the size pump they put on it(sedra 2500)
which is roughly equilvelent to the gen-x 1000 they use on the new one, except now the body is much smaller and it's half the cost. they are using the cheaper pump, but from what i've heard gen-x has addressed the major problems with their submersible pump, ie: stainless steel plate that was rusting behind back cover and stainless steel sleeve arount the impellar magnet. i'll be curious to look at the pump when it arrives:)
also, custom aquatic is calling it the asm baby g and rating it for 75g, so that means about 35-40g imo.
first thing im gonna do is take the elbow off and conect pump directly to skimmer body, instant 20% increase in performance!!
i wonder if they will offer it with a sedra 2500 upgrade? you can pick one up for $60 at custom aquatic, i might just do that when i get some extra cash.

Back