New Ballasts, lighting problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

alki

Hey. Im wondering if anyone knows something about this issue.

I have 2 250W oddysea mh lights. These had newer phoenix 14k bulbs in them. About 2-3 months old.

One of the ballasts went out, they were digital and about a year old, so I decided to get 2 new lumatek 250w ones.

Got these wired them up and was all good. 2 days later my right bulbs not working. So I check wiring, looks good, and then switch ballasts. (right one to left side and vv)
Now its still the right one thats not working.

Anyway I try to restart them both. And now neither of them will fire. I let them sit for 3 hours or so I now I cant get either of the bulbs going. They do the initial start for like 2 seconds but wont ignite.

So I decide to throw some different bulbs I have laying around in and hey they work. But my phoenix bulbs still look good so I threw one in a diff tank with an older oddysea ballast and it fires right up no problem.

So basically has anyone ever had bulbs used on a certain ballast for so long that the dont work on another ballast? Or ever heard of this? Maybe the different power to the bulbs is to much for them/ ?

I know about a hundred people got new lumatek ballasts for their oddysea ones, but Ive never heard any problems like this.

Anyway thanks for reading

So just an update to anyone who cares lol

Got new phoenix bulbs and they work great. I think they get used to one way of being lit and will have problems with another.

Hello,
I am listening. The Lumatek if it is digital should fire any bulb. The lumatek will not work if there is a wiring issue. That is what I am thinking.

Hello,
I am listening. The Lumatek if it is digital should fire any bulb. The lumatek will not work if there is a wiring issue. That is what I am thinking.

Not wiring, but a bulb being used on a different electronic ballast issue.

2 new bulbs and no problems, 2 bulbs used on odysea electronic ballast for 4 months and problems.

Go tri-cities!

Not wiring, but a bulb being used on a different electronic ballast issue.

2 new bulbs and no problems, 2 bulbs used on odysea electronic ballast for 4 months and problems.

Go tri-cities!

I am wanting to look inside your moguls at the tabs to make sure there is no obstructions. Its kinda hard over here. That is what I would do. :)

Are they running off of the same circuit in the house? Is it possible that the circuit they were on was overloaded? Dould cause the to not get enough power to fire? Not much help just more questions.

Back