new coldwater set up troubles.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

elhewman

Air bubble trouble

Well I just configured a 65gal cold saltwater tank set up which was recently purchased from a past member from this site. Anyway, this is a big jump for me and as you could guess some things are not working as planned. I will not bug you guys with everything as I will probobly figure many things out on my own.
My main issue right now is that my tank is nothing but air bubbles. I can barely see the substrate on the bottom. The air bubbles are coming through the twin standpipes non stop. One solution might be not having the pump running continuesly, but instead at regular intervels. Is this possible? Will the chiller work as planed if i do this? Very confusing?

To get an close to exact look at my setup you can search puget sound coldwater setup. member lfiedler posted diagrams and photos a while back.

Thanks in advance!:lol:

Last edited:
I think most of the bubbles might be forming as the drainpipes go into the sump. There is some real turbulence in the sump considering. The drain pipes are about 3-4 inches underneath the waterline.

Are the microbubbles in the water coming from the protein skimmer? Usually you have this in the first chamber of the pump behind a bubble wall (3 baffles). Maybe you can add in a high baffle before the return pump to block out some of the bubbles?

Good idea one of the overflow pipes was going into the sump compartment with a low baffle. I now have both going into the high baffle area. Bubbles seemed to have diminised for now!! Thanks for the tip.

Back