New Fad...? Mated Clown Fish in LFS....?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cwrenge

:?: lately around my area....( after Nemo Phase in LFS ) there are " Mated Clown Fish / Paired ? for sale in lots of LFS .... my question is.... Are they really Mated.....? or are the lfs marketing a new extended Nemo Phase with Mated Clown Fish....? the pairs ( ? ) are very expensive to most of us in the fish world.... so how can we not get Ripped- Off....? i'm no expert by any means... i wouldn't want any one dissappointed in ther hobby.... can any one help me/us to detect what is and what is just a " Throw of the Dice " so to speak in mateing apair of Clown Fish....? cw.

Most of the time "mated" clownfish have not actually had a successful spawn, which is what is really relevant to most of us. However, in many cases, what mated implies is that they are 2 fish that are coexisting and getting along as a "pair" would. Meaning that based on the difference in size and lack of aggression between the clowns it is assumed you have a male and a female that would have the potential to reproduce if given the right circumstances.
This is a bit misleading knowing that a the dominant clown of any group should change into a female and a pair could be acquired. By buying the "mated" pair you avoid the aggression and time required to buy 4 fish and wait for two of them to "pair" up.
Clownfish "pairs" are relatively easy to create, there are some species that are more difficult, but in general not too bad. So the money savings comes in that paying $60 for a "mated" pair is technically cheaper than buying 4 fish for $20 each and having 2 fish you don't know what to do with now or suffer from aggression from the newly formed pair.

That's sounded like a bit of a convoluted answer, does it make sense? :)

I talked about this recently, and I will post later....as part of a bigger discussion..

- Ilham

pondfrog said:
Most of the time "mated" clownfish have not actually had a successful spawn, which is what is really relevant to most of us. However, in many cases, what mated implies is that they are 2 fish that are coexisting and getting along as a "pair" would. Meaning that based on the difference in size and lack of aggression between the clowns it is assumed you have a male and a female that would have the potential to reproduce if given the right circumstances.
This is a bit misleading knowing that a the dominant clown of any group should change into a female and a pair could be acquired. By buying the "mated" pair you avoid the aggression and time required to buy 4 fish and wait for two of them to "pair" up.
Clownfish "pairs" are relatively easy to create, there are some species that are more difficult, but in general not too bad. So the money savings comes in that paying $60 for a "mated" pair is technically cheaper than buying 4 fish for $20 each and having 2 fish you don't know what to do with now or suffer from aggression from the newly formed pair.

That's sounded like a bit of a convoluted answer, does it make sense? :)
:?:iagain .... how can we tell ....? i mean, its like complete trust of the LFS to sell us a mated pair...(?)...when in my area they are selling mated pairs for 169/199 buckeroos... $ so for me its quite an expense to trust the store.... an expensive Coral... i can see what i'm buying.... i hope this narrows down my question..? i quess ? if i see a Pair... and they aren't showing aggression to eachother ... is the answer...? thanks for your input Pondfrog... cw.

I guess there really is no definitive way to see if a pair has successfully spawned unless you witnessed it! :)
What I would tell you is if an LFS has several of these around they have probably not spawned, but are merely paired. Not nescessarily because it is too difficult, but rather because if someone has gone through the trouble to actually get a pair to spawn.....why would they then want to sell them. This won't happen too often.
So, if the LFS has 5 of these "mated pairs" and gets more in all the time.....you can rest assurred they are not actually mated. :(
To the best of my knowledge there is no way to tell simply by watching the 2 fish swim in a tank! ;)
HTH

I have two false percs that paired up as soon as I added the new one. I had one for over a year by itself, then added a very tiny one and they just hooked up :)

Unless you are really just into spending money or breeding clownfish. My opinion and it is only that. Is to buy tank raised babies and let them pair up or buy two from a tank that has a bunch of wild caught clowns. It seems to work best buying a big one and the smallest one. Thats how the pair of gold stripe marroons that keep laying eggs in the 150 in columbia got together and the pair of cinnamons in the 55 in garage got together. I think clown fish naturally want to hook up and pair up. Its just like us. Lock a man and woman in a room and they will get friendly sooner or later... LOL

Lock a man and woman in a room and they will get friendly sooner or later... LOL

Well as long as they both have toothbrushes and use them anyway.

LOL!!! very true dood hmm may be i could donate my tank's toothbrushes :lol: :lol:

i agree with Steve, no matter what clowns will always pair up, unless they are like my clown who's the pickyest clown when it comes to choosing a partner :doubt: or you can always give 2 clowns to Elmo and in a few months they'll be having babies :D and then get them back :rolleyes:

Well, my opinion, I wouldn't spend that much on a pair seeing as here in Canada we can buy 4 (depending on the breed) for $100.00 give or take. It would be cheaper, more fun to watch 4 of them swim the tank and pair up than it would to spend $200 bucks on a mated pair that may die. If your breeding them for a purpose yea that "might" make sense. But, then again I'm Canadian and new at the sport.

Pondfrog and Richard55 - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

wrightme43 said:
It seems to work best buying a big one and the smallest one.
Agreed but I would only do this when options are limited! In my experience, buying clowns sold as mated pairs is a complete waste of money. It also depends on the exact species of clown fish as each will have a slightly different instinctual behavior.

The best solution is as Steve said "buy tank raised babies and let them pair up". The success rate of eventually having a mated spawning pair is much much higher if not 100% of the time (again species dependant). When adding clowns of different sizes, it really depends on the size to be honest. The larger the clown gets and longer it has been solitary or in a group, the more likely it to be a female. Some recommend that one be at least ½ the size of the "supposed" female. I find that increadibley hit and miss. A better option is to add the smaller clown while still about 1" in size (or less). This accomplishes a few possitive results. The smaller will still be either male or "neuter" increasing the chances of pair bonding. It also curtails the inevitable aggressive behavior while dominance is being established. You might think two fish of similar size would hold their own against each other but in fact if one is quite a bit smaller, the aggression from the incumbant female is much less.

As far as actually getting them to spawn, the key there is keeping their environment consitant and stress free. The more things are changed or tank mates are a bother, the less likely the pair will spawn if at all. The more stability, the more likely they will spawn. Once they start and things remain relatively unchanged, the more often. Some species being twice a month or more.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Agreed but I would only do this when options are limited! In my experience, buying clowns sold as mated pairs is a complete waste of money. It also depends on the exact species of clown fish as each will have a slightly different instinctual behavior.

The best solution is as Steve said "buy tank raised babies and let them pair up". The success rate of eventually having a mated spawning pair is much much higher if not 100% of the time (again species dependant). When adding clowns of different sizes, it really depends on the size to be honest. The larger the clown gets and longer it has been solitary or in a group, the more likely it to be a female. Some recommend that one be at least ½ the size of the "supposed" female. I find that increadibley hit and miss. A better option is to add the smaller clown while still about 1" in size (or less). This accomplishes a few possitive results. The smaller will still be either male or "neuter" increasing the chances of pair bonding. It also curtails the inevitable aggressive behavior while dominance is being established. You might think two fish of similar size would hold their own against each other but in fact if one is quite a bit smaller, the aggression from the incumbant female is much less.

As far as actually getting them to spawn, the key there is keeping their environment consitant and stress free. The more things are changed or tank mates are a bother, the less likely the pair will spawn if at all. The more stability, the more likely they will spawn. Once they start and things remain relatively unchanged, the more often. Some species being twice a month or more.

Cheers
Steve
:) :) :) Thanks to you all....lots of light was put on this .... again thanks, cw.

I have a clown in my tank that resides in my Ritteri. Initially he had a companion that was purchased at the same time and this one died about a year ago. Could I get a small clown to put back with him, or will I have to get a larger one closer to his size. This fellow is very aggressive and that has me concerned about putting a smaller one in there with him. Don't really care about the mating thing, though that would be cool.

well that's what happens to me hopper dood .
i had my pair, they used to fight and love eachother, the female died (i don't remember how long ago) and so i tried adding a baby so he/ now she wouldn't feel lonely, well at first she was kind of friendly but then all of a sudden she started picking on him :( , after a few months the baby died and she's been lonely ever since.
I don't think all clowns are the same, so maybe you could have success :) but if i was you, i'd get something a little bit bigger because mine was a baby.
I'm sure Elmo can tell you more :) .
just remember one thing... as soon as they hit their 35s they are all desperate :D (ups never mind lol)

My two cinnamon clowns love eachother to death. They sleep together though the girl is pig at feeding time she makes sure her man gets some food too. Don't think they have ever spawned but I bought them as a mated apir and have never had a problem with them fighting. (no divorce court here). They don't like strangers in their cave and hopefully when my yellow sarcophyton grows up they will take to it.

Back