New fish suggestions!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dtd87

Since my mccoskers passed :rip:

I'm looking for some suggestions on a new fish to add.

Current livestock is
1x False Clown
1x Cleaner Shrimp
Misc Snails
1x Hermit

Tank is a 36gal bow w/ 50lbs of rock 10lbs of sand

I don't know what to add and I'm worried if I add a new clown my current one kendrick will beat the living "S" out of the newbie.

So whats your thoughts on something new for the tank.

Dracula goby! love these fish and I have wanted one for a long time. You can even pair it with a pistol shrimp.

If you wanted to add another Occellaris, you could. You'd need to make sure it's A LOT smaller than the one you currently have, or A LOT larger. As long as there's a noticeable difference in size, you should be fine. Maybe a Goby, from the Trimma family. They're excellent "nano" gobies.

i ended up with a carpenters wrasse, which looks very similar to my old fish, I'll post pics in a bit

royal gramma is neat too..yellow and purple..

I agree with Kirk! I always wanted one and finally caught one in the wild here and un-fortunately on the boat ride home, my wife's little cousin dropped something in the bucket and killed him!! :eek: I got him for my 24 gal aquapod seeing they don't get that big and are really nice looking fish so my vote like Kirk's is for the royal gramma. :)

Seeing I am talking about it, here is a picture of the little fellow I caught that day. If you look good, you can see from the tail, he's kinda yellow and then it fades to like an orange to a reddish color then purple. Really pretty fish!!

2ugff29.jpg

Last edited:
A Potter Angel
589025908_fHDLa-M.jpg
They do fine around corals, but only "1" unless you separate before adding another of any angels. Plays nicely and loves to show off and swim up front.

although most books will say a potters angel will do in a 30g tank, these tend to live longer and do better in a bigger tank with lots of live rock..they graze all day...IMO, my minimum tank would be 55-60g.

although most books will say a potters angel will do in a 30g tank, these tend to live longer and do better in a bigger tank with lots of live rock..they graze all day...IMO, my minimum tank would be 55-60g.

Can't wait to someday have the 50b in the garage drilled hopefully before I'm forced to move in the next month or two.

Lots of good suggestions, and here are a few more for you. Cherub Angel (depending on corals kept), Barnacle Blenny, Tailspot Blenny and maybe one of the very few small/colorful/peaceful Damsels like Azure Demoiselle (Chrysiptera hemicyanea) I have one in my mixed reef and has been a model citizen.

Cheers, Todd

I saw a saphire damsel at petco the otherday I had to resist buying. :( I just can't trust them.

I may add something else soon, but I'm more trying to focus on making the tank pretty. It looks alright, I just ordered a new 14k phoenix bulb my other is about 9 months old. I think I'm going to make a thread on it and look for some suggestions.

Back