New Guy Here w/ Some ?????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bigd

Hi all,

I just signed up and have to say this is an amazing site and after reading a ton of posts everyone seems very knowlegable and friendly so I thought I would post some questions.

Im extremely new to the marine hobby but have kept fresh water tanks for quite some time. I also dont mind doing my research which seems to help in this hobby considering it's so involved but I still have lots of ???'s. Im thinking of starting a FOWLR tank first with my 55gallon and possibly moving into a 110galon reef in the future so I want my equipment to be able to handle a larger tank.

Live Rock

First of all I have ordered live rock from ocean pro and Iam having it shipped ground because of cost reasons. Being that I live in the north east it could take up to 7 days. I know this is not ideal but being that it is a brand new tank should this be a problem. As in after die off and cycling will the rock be fine?? Another thing. I have notice ed a guy selling a guide on ebay on how to create and seed your own live rock from existing live rock in your system what do you think of this.

Protein skimmer

Can you guys give me a couple of sugestion for a good and economical in sump skimmer for a tank of 110 gallons. I was about to seaclone 150 (cheap) from the lfs till I did some reading and realized how important it is.

Lighting

What do you guys suggest for lighting on a 110gallon FOWLR tank with the possible addition of some easy maintance corals at a later date.

Sump

Im going to utilize a sump with mechanical poly filter and bioballs which will hold my skimmer as well. I just recently found out that bioballs are not good at elimating nitrates but this sound be fine with fish only?? Keep in mind that i will have 55lbs of live rock in my 55gallon.

And of course any other suggestions you guys have for a newbie (fish, water changes, testing) SORRY FOR THE LONG POST AND THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO!!!

First of all I have ordered live rock from ocean pro and Iam having it shipped ground because of cost reasons. Being that I live in the north east it could take up to 7 days. I know this is not ideal but being that it is a brand new tank should this be a problem. As in after die off and cycling will the rock be fine?? Another thing. I have notice ed a guy selling a guide on ebay on how to create and seed your own live rock from existing live rock in your system what do you think of this.
The rock will die off. It will also reseed and become live rock. Just have patience, and keep the water circulating and the skimmer running.

Protein skimmer

Can you guys give me a couple of sugestion for a good and economical in sump skimmer for a tank of 110 gallons. I was about to seaclone 150 (cheap) from the lfs till I did some reading and realized how important it is.
This is one of the most important parts of your setup. Euroreef, ASM, Deltec are some of the better manufacturers out there. Spend the money on this. You'll be happy in the long run. Think of the skimmer as the heart of your aquarium...get a cheap on and you'll be doing open heart surgery later when you have corals and fish to worry about.

Lighting

What do you guys suggest for lighting on a 110gallon FOWLR tank with the possible addition of some easy maintance corals at a later date

For FOWLR you are just concerned with how the fish look. The live rock will live under flourecent without issue. When you move to a reef, you need to decide what kind of corals you want to keep. If you want the skimmer in the water that many people like, you need a point source light (most use metal halide). You could just get either VHO, power compact, or T5 now and use it to light the FOWLR and add MH if you are going to keep higher light corals. Lighting is a very highly debated topic, and very subjective to the persons personal tastes.

Sump

Im going to utilize a sump with mechanical poly filter and bioballs which will hold my skimmer as well. I just recently found out that bioballs are not good at elimating nitrates but this sound be fine with fish only?? Keep in mind that i will have 55lbs of live rock in my 55gallon.
Personally, if you are planning to go toward a reef later, I would just treat the tank as a reef now and your fish will be very happy with the water quality, plus you'll be used to the routine. Nitrates are not near the issue in a FOWLR that they are in a reef, but they do contribute to nuisance algae. I wouldn't use the bio balls. Get a strong skimmer and practice good husbandry and you won't need the bio balls at all.

Check your house water for the levels of nitrates, phophorus, etc. (should be able to get a report from the water company). Most people use a RO filter and many incoporate a DI after the RO. This will virtually eliminate the introduction of nutrients from water changes and topoff. This will give you a solid foundation to start from. Limit the flake foods and rinse the frozen food (or better yet make your own food) and you will further limit the introduction of nutrients into the tank. If they don't get in you won't have an algae battle.

Good luck...keep reading and asking questions. There is a lot to learn to limit the pain of having a reef tank.

listen to reed. spending 150 on a seaclone isn't a good idea. even the urchin from aquaC will double the performance but probably is too small for that size tank. Asm, or Euroreef. ASM is cheaper and you could run a G-2 for a good price.

I have to agree with brad and reed. Hook up on a good skimmer. I have the asm g-3. Its awesome. Also if you want a reef, build a reef. It really doesnt cost much more. Just go really slow. Leave the bioballs out of the sump. Run the good skimmer. Use the light that came with your tank, untill you can get metal halide. This is coming from someone who spent hella money on lights and skimmers, untill I just bit the bullet and paid for the good stuff. So I could of built a whole extra tank for money I have in things I dont use.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Good advice given. I would also advise on a good skimmer, ASM, AquaC, Euro-Reef are great. Your rock will be fine. You can cure the rock in the tank for the cycle process, or cure it in a separate container.....or partially cure it in a separate container and finish it off in the tank. I cured my rock (uncured rock) in the tank for the cycle. It smelled for a week or so, but it wasn't that bad :). I wouldn't buy a guide about the rock....it will be full of life before you know it.

Hey guys..thanks for the replies....I just ordered a ASM G3 and its all your fault..lol.

One question about this model...my cabinet where the sump will be placed is only 26.75inches. I noticed teh G3 is 25inches high....will I have to take it out of the cabinet to get the cup off??? Also being the new guy that I am I was wondering what the different coral abbeviations were..ie SPS

Nope the top will come off. I have a G-3 because its actually 24" tall and the cabinet I was putting it in was actually 24" tall. In that one the top would not come off. You should be cool. Just measure from the bottom of your sump to the top area. S.P.S. means Small Polyop Stony coral, L.P.S. Large Polyop Stony. Whatever you need just ask. You will get better and more info on here for free. (Well it is cool if you donate a little to help support Reef Frontiers, it is not any kind of requirement) Heck you can even talk to a lady that raises coepods and amphiopods for living. People that raise clams, build tanks, electrical, plumbing, anything you can think of, its here. Glad you are here. Steve

You guys have been great so far!! I was wondering how many times should my tank water cycle through my sump (GPH)?? Also could I use a plastic tub as my sump or would that give me problems??

Try for at least 6 times up to 15 times. Mine runs at 13 times a hour, and skimmer turnover of tank volume is 6 times. Sure you can use a rubber tote for a sump. Rubbermaid brute containers are great. Quite a few people use them. I use a 20 gallon glass tank, they dont cost very much either. Steve

Steve's given you great answers. I prefer a cheap glass tank for the sump for a couple of reasons.

1) it was meant to hold water for extended periods of time. some rubbermaids begin to bow.

2) it won't leach anything back into the water. some rubbermaids have been reported to do this

3) you can drill it with worry of having a blowout. rubbermaids don't always hold up well to drilling

Glad you chose to get a high quality skimmer. You'll be happy you did...and so will your tank inhabitants.

Welcome BigD your right, this is a great site! Another think that was rec to me and i tell everyone about is the book, "conscientous marine aquarist" by Robert Fenner, it covers all the general stuff and goes pretty indepth, welcome to this site and good luck!

Back