New halide bulb and ballast won't fire

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

How do you troubleshoot it when a new halide and/or ballast won't turn on?

I put two new ones in today (well not personally but my helper did it for me) and the right one won't turn on. Reeflux 250 watt 10K's on Coravue ballasts.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried swapping the bulbs around to see if you can get the none firing bulb to work and move the working bulb to ballast that wasn't working. This will help determine if the bulb or the ballast is bad.

As a FYI: I've had a Reeflux 250w 10k bulb quite working after about a month of working. So my guess is you have a bad bulb.

sometime reefflux bulb need 30mins-1 1/2 hrs to light up,,if your wiring correctly,,or try different kind of bulb,,,i don't have very good luck with reefflux at all reefflux still have the problem with their bubs,,so far they bugs and have not fixing yet,,another reason why i'm using XM

Last edited:
good suggestion. I will try that. If it's a bad bulb, I suppose I could put my 175 watt bulb back in the 250 ballast until I get a replacement, do you think?

Not sure about over driving a 175w bulb with a 250 ballast.. Never done it, I've heard of people over driving bulbs but not sure if they're SE or DE type bulbs and how safe it is.

so
metime reefflux bulb need 30mins-1 1/2 hrs to light up,,if your wiring correctly,,or try different kind of bulb,,,i don't have very good luck with reefflux at all reefflux still have the problem with their bubs,,so far they bugs and have not fixing yet,,another reason why i'm using XM

missed your post, Dang. This is interesting, in a scary kind of way. I hadn't heard that about Reeflux before.

OK, so it's not the bulb. It's either the ballast itself or the wiring to the ballast wasn't done right. :cry:

Back