New hood

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mark peacock

marine67
Hi guys right making my own hood for the tank and need to know weather varnish is ok to use to seal the wood and leave it for a week to dry any ideas.
after it drys would it be ok to use will being varnishing it in and out.:)

Never tried varnish (just regular stain) but I would imagine it would work out fine. I guess the others will chime in soon. Make sure and show us some pics when finished:D

Hood

so you just stained yours :| the one i am attepting to do is the one you showed me last week on one of your threads:) so you dont get any mositure soaking in your hood then, so the fans keep that away, just that if you stain wood it soaks in to the wood i want to stop any splashes and any mositure from soaking into the wood that is the reason for varnishing it if you understand what i mean:) sorry for sounding a bit thick.

so you just stained yours the one i am attepting to do is the one you showed me last week on one of your threads so you dont get any mositure soaking in your hood then, so the fans keep that away, just that if you stain wood it soaks in to the wood i want to stop any splashes and any mositure from soaking into the wood that is the reason for varnishing it if you understand what i mean sorry for sounding a bit thick.

I understand totally what you are saying and it doesn't sound "thick":) That hood I showed you was stained on the inside with the clear/sealer, but formica on the outside. I can't really say how well it held up because I didn't have that setup long enough to see what would happen over time. Maybe a few months max.:oops: In any event, for the time I did have it, I never noticed any moisture settling in there or the wood really feeling damp. I guess if the varnish seals it, then you should be good to go although I don't really know how varnish holds up against salt and maybe someone else will chime in on that:)

Hood

Thanks krish your help is top once again:) i will see if anyone else has any info about weather varnish is ok to use i was going to use an outside varnish which would combat the elements for water proofing. mark

Hi Mark, Varnishing should be just fine as long as you use 2 to 3 coats and some light sanding in between. :)

Hood

:?: I was thinking off putting a Acrylic Sheet to seal the underside with and it would keep the heat out of the tank out as well any views on that any one:)

Hmm...Never tried that one before for sure. You may be surprised though at how little heat gets trapped in there using fans to pull and push air in and out of the canopy:)

Hood

It was just an idea to keep water away but thinking about it i may just leave it open seems i have got fans for that reason, iam going to start it this week end so i will show pics of my progress if it goes to plan:lol: .

Back