New Kole Tang

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmkeeper

Last week I added a Kole Tang to my reef, great little guy. He is just nibbling all over my rock and the back to my tank that is covered in coraline. He has started to eat some green fibered algae of which I have a small about. He is eat mysis shrimp. My question is should I try to introduce Nori to him?

I have a kole and feed him nori once a week. You have to watch Nori it is loaded with phosphates, use sparingly. If you can find a good source for Hikari frozen foods they have a frozen brine that is gut loaded with spiralina and vitamins, also use sparingly, and fomula 2 is good. I feed everyother day and vary the foods. You may have to cut a small square of nori and put it in a clip and cut narrow strips in it say 1/8" max with sissors as Koles don't bite off stuff, they kind of suck it off as you well see as he eats on your glass.

Last edited:
It is a pretty well known fact on all the boards, it is a processed dried food as any flake food should be fed very sparingly as they are a high source of phosphates.

John, I think you are referring to the stuff made for tanks that some people may call "nori" - real nori is actually a naturally growing seaweed. Here is an extract from an encyclopedia that I found.

"Nori (Japanese: 海苔), known in Chinese as hǎitái (海苔) and in Korean as kim or gim (김), is the Japanese name for various edible seaweed species of the red alga Porphyra including most notably P. yezoensis and P. tenera. The term nori is also commonly used to refer to the food products created from these so-called "sea vegetables". Finished products are made by a shredding and rack-drying process that resembles papermaking. Japan, Korea, and China are the current major producers of nori, with total production valued at up to US $2 billion per year.

Production and processing of nori by current methods is a highly advanced form of agriculture. The biology of Porphyra, although complicated, is well understood and this knowledge is used to control virtually every step of the production process. Farming takes place in the sea where the Porphyra plants grow attached to nets suspended at the sea surface and where the farmers operate from boats. The plants grow rapidly, requiring about 45 days from "seeding" until the first harvest. Multiple harvests can be taken from a single seeding, typically at about 10 day intervals. Harvesting is accomplished using mechanical harvesters of a variety of configurations. Processing of raw product is mostly accomplished by highly automated machines that accurately duplicate traditional manual processing steps, but with much improved efficiency and consistency. The final product is a paper thin, dark, black, dried sheet of approximately 18 X 20 cm and 3 grams in weight.

Nori is commonly used as a wrap for sushi makizushi and rice balls onigiri. It is also a common garnish or flavoring in noodle preparations and soups."

I know what Nori is, I eat sushi all the time. Unless they soak the nori in ro/di water first to remove the phosphates, like most of us do with our frozen foods first, you have phosphates and most everything I've ever read by anyone over the years says that nori is very high in phosphates naturally. I use the nori made for sushi that I buy at our local coop which is organic, not the julian sprung sea veggies stuff. Plus any nori that doesn't get eaten is floating around looking for a place to land and not to mention the 90 % crapped out by the fish, and nori is a algae so if you want a bunch of algae looking for a place to land and nurish your tank?????? I don't. I do feed nori but very sparingly as with any food I can't soak in ro/di first.

Back