New macro lens...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blazer88

I finally got a real macro lens, Canon EF 100mm F/2.8. I'm still getting to know the lens but so far I really like it. I'm debating wheter or not to get extension tubes for my camera to give me even better macro abilities. I see some people getting amazing results with that combo. Let me know what you think.

A face only a mother could love (not a very good pic but I like how you can see his teeth):
IMG_1823.jpg

Hungry brain:
IMG_1812.jpg

SPS (don't know the name):
IMG_1805.jpg

Green Slimer tip:
IMG_1796.jpg

Very nice! That truly is an amazing lens.

Bear in mind that your depth of field is already extremely narrow and will only get moreso with extension tubes. No reason it wouldn't work, but with the low light in a reef already you might find yourself taking every shot at ISO1600.

-Dylan

These shots were taken at ISO400. Most of the time it's not a problem since I take my pictures with a tripod, remote shutter, pumps off, and of objects that don't move. Fish are much harder to get good macros of because of the shallow DOF (or slow shutter speed with a smaller aperture) so I generally like to do corals. The tubes still look fun to play with though, just probably wouldn't work with the fish. I'll try to take some more today now that I've seen how these turned out.

Nice photos, the lens makes a big difference!
Not so nice bugs, guess it is time to work on them.

It's funny that I never noticed the bugs before. I checked my other SPS pieces and they don't have any, just that one piece. I guess that's the downside to a good macro lens :(

Back