New Old Setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sanman

I have been out of the hobby for 5 years while raising 2 children. They are now old enough and interested in the aquarium.

Everything I have is 5 years old. I have a 125 gallon glass reef tank with corner overflows. I have a CPR CY194 filter with the BIO BALE still in it. I have a Little Giant 3 MQDX pump running the sump. All plmbing is PVC plumbed. I have purchased a new 3x400 metal hallide 2x140 VHO light fixture. I plan to dose KALKWASAR to keep calcium up. I use only RO water.

I have 3 damsels in the tank just to get some Bio load but nothing else. I plan to add each addition very slowly. The tank has been running for 4 weeks. Everything is going fine. I eventually want SPS coral and Clams.

My questions are... Do I want to take out the BIO BALE, and when?
I plan on adding 100-150 pounds of live rock in about and 1-2 inches of live sand in about a month. Do I want to take the BIO BALE out after or before the rock is established.

Is the CPR CY194 filter and built in skimmer going to be good enough?

Will the Little giant provide enough circualtion or do I need some type of wave maker?

Will I be able to keep the calcium level high enough with just KALKWASAR or will I need something else?

What else do I need? Any recomendations?

Thanks

Welcome to RF and back into the hobby Sanman! :)
As for your questions, here are a few of my thoughts...

My questions are... Do I want to take out the BIO BALE, and when?

Personally, I'd take it out now and allow the tank to cycle and build up the necessary bacterial colonies with the live rock alone. The bio-bale will eventually need to come out as it will eventually become a primary source of nitrate production so you may as well do it now and save yourself some headache and time later:)

Will the Little giant provide enough circualtion or do I need some type of wave maker?

I'm pretty sure you will need/want more. That pump if I remember correctly puts out about 1,000 gph of flow. That will only give you about 8x turnover rate which IMO will by far, not be enough to provide the entire tank with sufficient flow to cover all areas and also, provide the corals with sufficient flow. Here's a thread that will give you an idea of how much flow people are using in various sized tanks. That way, it will give you an idea of what to shoot for. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18140 At one point, I had about 100x turnover rate in a tank of mine and the corals loved it. Some thought it was a bit extreme:p but the corals and even the fish seemed to love it. In your case, if drilling the tank isn't an option and you just want a quick and simple way to add flow to the tank, I'd look into getting a few Tunze streams (or even Seio's if you don't want to spend too much) and let them provide you with additional flow. Just a few thoughts...:)

Will I be able to keep the calcium level high enough with just KALKWASAR or will I need something else?

Never used Kalk, so I can't really say. I use to supplement with the 2 part B-Ionic (calcium and alk) and would adjust the doseages according to the rate at which the corals consumed calcium and alk which worked out well for me, but I'm sure the others will chime in soon...

Good luck with the setup and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask:)

Welcome to Reef Frontiers Sanman!!! :D :D :D

From the sound of your post, you currently don't have Live Rock in your system? Until you do get that live rock, you will need to leave in that bio-bale, or you will have no flitration at all. You will most likely see a cycle once you do get your live rock also, so watch your water parameters closely at that time. I wouldn't start adding anything until after the Live Rock, and then it will probably be a month or more until everything cycles before your tank is ready for slow additions.

Search and read through the forums here. There is a TON of very helpful information here on Reef Frontiers, and everyone is very willing to answer questions... so don't hesitate in posting either! :)

Again, Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! :D :D :D

From the sound of your post, you currently don't have Live Rock in your system? Until you do get that live rock, you will need to leave in that bio-bale, or you will have no flitration at all.

I agree totally, and with that being said, it would have been in your best interest to get the rock first before adding the damsels in and cycle the tank from then with the rock, but as it stands, depending on how much live rock you have now, will determine if you can go without the bio-bale. :)

hey but before he puts live rock doesn't he have to cure it ?:p.
i'm not sure about the skimme since i have never own one of those but i'm sure someone will be able to tell you more about it .
About the kalwasser ...you can't add it right now because you don't have corals in there yet so you won't know how much calcium consumption (however you spell that :p) you will have ...that stuff comes later after you start adding corals and you will need to test first to see where you are at or at least that's what i've understood ... from all the threads that i read :p.
since you're planning on keeping sps ..you might wanna read this thread ..is very helpful :).

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

hmm don't forget to buy some test kits if you don't have them yet :).

ohh yeah and welcome to rf dood !!!! :D

Along Gaby's thoughts...

Kalk will work well for "supplimenting" your tanks usage of Calcium & Alkalinity. It shouldn't be used to get those in ballance, or up to the level you will eventually want your tank at... but once you are in-ballance and all set, it does work nicely to help with the "Up-Take" your corals will use as they grow.

Back