New Purple Rim Cap

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mellowhead

Just had to share and ask a question of course:lol: My new addition found here locally & I couldn't believe it. Sitting in a tank with some softies no doubt:shock: I thought for sure I would have to order one:p Anyway you can see the little guy under one Hamilton 14K 175w bulb. The question is: What could be the reasons for the small bare spot towards the top right. I am hoping with a little TLC it will heal over. What do you guys think?

MH

first shot
purplerim102920062.jpg

no flash
purplerim3noflash_10292006.jpg

withflash
purplerim2wflash_10292006.jpg

Lighting changes.
Good looking specimen

This mark was already on it when I purchased yesterday, so maybe it was from the differences in his tank's lighting and where he actually got it. yes it is quite the looker. I am thinking of making room in the center of the tank for it to grow huge:D

MH

Most likely it was caused by detritus or sand landing on the spot. It is often the case with these type corals. It appears to have already regrown over the damaged area. All the new growth will be purple (in your case) or whatever the leading edge color is for other corals of this type. Your coral grows very fast, so be sure to give it plenty of room :) If you place it a few inches off the bottom and have good current flowing across it, detritus will not build up in the center as it grows. It can be a pain to turkey baste it every few days.

HTH,
Kevin

Most likely it was caused by detritus or sand landing on the spot. It is often the case with these type corals. It appears to have already regrown over the damaged area. All the new growth will be purple (in your case) or whatever the leading edge color is for other corals of this type. Your coral grows very fast, so be sure to give it plenty of room :) If you place it a few inches off the bottom and have good current flowing across it, detritus will not build up in the center as it grows. It can be a pain to turkey baste it every few days.

HTH,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I was waiting to hear from you. I too was thinking something either landed on it, so I did poor some water over it while acclimating to be sure it was clean, or it was like the other post said could be minor changes in light. But after hearing from you I am like:D This is one awesome coral. I will be sure to post pics as it grows up.

PS - All of the sps from RM are doing fine except one did RTN over night on the 5th day, but other than that they are all doing great with great polyp extension too. I think I added too much top off water in too short of time and the little guy didn't like it:( I am off to a good start with SPS and will most likely add only a few more specimens so they have plenty of room to grow over the years.

Back