new setup for a newbie

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

billdo

I have had numerous tanks in the past, but all have been fish only tanks. However during that time I decided to get out of the hobby and focus on more important things. Well needless to say I am now back into the hobby.
I have recently obtained a 75 gallon non r/r tank that I am using for curing live rock with a coral life super skimmer 220 and a 250 watt mh bulb over it.

However the tank I am setting up is a 72 gal bowfront Oceanic RR with an All Glass aquarium sump stage 2 w/ a quiet one 400 pump and a Euro-reef RS80 skimmer w/ sedra pump and a 20 ga refugium full of cheato. However I am wanting to keep just about everything. The lights are 2 175 watt MH and 4 x 65 watt PC w/ 2 15000 bulbs and 2 actinics.

My question is, will this lighting setup allow me to have sps and lps corals?

I have a 75 glass and use two 175 w mh 20k and keep sps and lps. I keep the sps high on the rock and more centered to the lights. Lots of growth.

If you keep your SPS up high you should be fine. You can probably get away with putting some of your SPS about half way down, but keep in mind, when your bulbs get old, you may have very little forgiveness from the corals in that range of lighting. I would definately stick with 10K's with some actinic supplements for SPS with 175s though.

Back