New setup - Question about Live Rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

markang

Hi guys.. great to find this community!

Question about live rock. Here's the background:
We got a complete setup from someone, the tank has been running for probably a year (55 gallon). The owner said there's been several fishes in the tank but when we bought it it came with 1 fish (the rest was moved back to her home tank). It's got some live sand on the bottom (sugar sand), and it's Fish Only otherwise. No rock/corals.

We want to put some live rock into the tank. The questions how should we go about that?
- We may get 40-50lbs of dried rock. If we put the rock straight into the tank, wouldn't that kill the fish?
- What about if we got LR from a store (that's already in a tank, altho this is way more expensive! :( ).. can we just pop it straight into the tank?
- OR should we put the dried rock in another (smaller) tank (like an empty one) with salt water, and just run the filter/heater for a few weeks the transfer rock to the main tank?

Thanks so much!!

Last edited:
You must cycle the rock first and let it come to life with bacteria. It would most likely kill the fish if there happened to be an ammonia cycle.

You must cycle the rock first and let it come to life with bacteria. It would most likely kill the fish if there happened to be an ammonia cycle.

Hi Crazyfish. Thanks so much.. Can you be more descriptive (or provide a link if there is already one) on what "cycle the rock" means?
I'm very new to this.. not sure how to 'cycle' the rock.
Also what do I do with the existing fish that's in there?

Here is a link on the cycling process. Your rock is going to have a bunch of stuff that is dieing on it, so while that is happening your going to create a toxic enviroment. But anyway read the link first it will give you a clearer picture, then come back with as many questions as you want.

Reef Frontiers - Cycling and recycling your tank

mojo

Here is a link on the cycling process. Your rock is going to have a bunch of stuff that is dieing on it, so while that is happening your going to create a toxic enviroment. But anyway read the link first it will give you a clearer picture, then come back with as many questions as you want.

Reef Frontiers - Cycling and recycling your tank

mojo

Thanks Mojo.
I just read the article and if I understood it right (simplifying it a bit perhaps).
I basically put live rock into the tank, and let it just sit there for a few weeks.. and all systems should balance....?

Measure and test Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate levels when they're at 0 (near 0) then all systems go.. ?

Ok so you can use dry rock and then add a small amount of LR to seed the dry. From their the dieing material from the LR will cause bacteria to start to bloom in order to reduce the material, this will start the cycle. From their you will be testing the water and watching the rise and fall of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Once the nitrate begin to lower to safe levels you can start to add fish maybe a clean up crew and similar. From their the tank will begin to mature as written in the article.

hope it helps

Mojo

Ok so you can use dry rock and then add a small amount of LR to seed the dry. From their the dieing material from the LR will cause bacteria to start to bloom in order to reduce the material, this will start the cycle. From their you will be testing the water and watching the rise and fall of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Once the nitrate begin to lower to safe levels you can start to add fish maybe a clean up crew and similar. From their the tank will begin to mature as written in the article.

hope it helps

Mojo

Thanks Mojo.. so does like 40 lbs of dry and 10 lbs of LR work? or more/less of either?

Also I asked in another post, but what's a clean up crew? :)

Thanks!

When you get LR/dry rock get shapes and sizes that are going to make the tank look good to you, so approach it from that point of view and not on how much and so on. In the system you discribed your going to get some filtration from the sand also so you will be fine. As you read in the article their will be a point either during or after you cycle that the algae will come and pay you a visit, so at that point you can look to purchase what we call a clean up crew, so that can range from snails to worm, to crabs and so on. Do a little research to find out which ones are best and what the down sides are for each. This crew will help you combat the algae. On the full steam ahead keep in mind that many thing have many different levels of tolerence levels to nitrates and such so make sure you dont get something that is not that hardy right away.

Hope it helps

Mojo

My tank is 14 months old and sustaining life thus far. Had an problem with copper but that is taken care of and no longer an issue. Why would I want to or need to re-cycle the tank?? If I wanted to add more LR can’t I go to the pet shop and get cured rock and just drop it in? Or if I do will this possibly turn it all upside down and kill everything in it.
Thanks.
Leo

Back