New sump in the works

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

N1Husker

RF Staff
Petco has their one dollar a gallon sale on aquariums right now so I bought a 55 gallon I will make a sump from. It will be an upgrade from my 29 gallon sump. I will have to wait until I heal up more and the weather warms up. I am excited.:peace:

Nice. Gonna get some water volume and sump real estate. Dont see to many 55g sumps. Or at least i dont. Lol
D

I was going to get a 40 gallon but those are 18" wide and I don't have room for that wide so I got the 55 for $15 more. The 55's are 12" wide. I can tear apart the 29 gallon and use the baffles from the 29 and use them in the 55 gallon since they are the same width. I will like the extra room, since it is really cramped in the 29.

Yes, the length is okay. 18" width would have been workable but a little tight. 12" much better.

Yes, you can use acrylic baffles in a glass aquarium. The silicone will not stick to the acrylic however, but it doesn't need to. Put a line of silicone on the glass where you want to place you baffle, then press the acrylic panel (baffle) into the silicone and then put another line of silicone on the other side of the panel, in the corner where the glass meets the silicone. Do this on all sides. You are mainly just wedging the acrylic in using the silicone as a wedge that holds the acrylic panel in. I have built several this way and I have never had a problem. The minimum thickness of the acrylic panel should be at least 1/4 of an inch.

Back