New Tank and cabinet setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

loluckyve

Still amazed
Wow is all I can say, I'm new to all this setup stuff. So we have a 125gal tank all is good and where upgrading to a 210 gal and it's sitting on the floor. I haven't seen any thing on how to build a cabinet the right way so it can hold the weight of everything and have it looking nice. I have built cabinet's but the the though of it coming down as I filling it up doesn't sit well. I plan on building just the stand and thinking about pluming it out to the garage so the sump and cooler is out there but need the down on that Idea.

Congrats on the upgrade!! Some people will have a structure welded first that will easily support the weight and then do their woodwork around it to hide/cover it. Looking in, it would look just like a regular wooden stand, but if you look inside the cabinet you can see the welded frame. There are a few threads around here with people with stands this way. :)

Wow is all I can say, I'm new to all this setup stuff. So we have a 125gal tank all is good and where upgrading to a 210 gal and it's sitting on the floor. I haven't seen any thing on how to build a cabinet the right way so it can hold the weight of everything and have it looking nice. I have built cabinet's but the the though of it coming down as I filling it up doesn't sit well. I plan on building just the stand and thinking about pluming it out to the garage so the sump and cooler is out there but need the down on that Idea.

A stand is no different than any other piece of furniture. Most just use construction lumber and skin it out. Furniture grade stands dont use 2x4's and such but rely on engineering plywood panels. Plywood is many many times stronger. This gives a much stronger and stable stand than construction lumber. It also makes for a much nicer piece in terms of looks and behind the scenes look and function. Cost for many is a factor in using construction lumber but in the long run the cost savings is usually non existent by the time your said and done. If you have the ability and or the facilities to work with sheet goods then its definitely the way to go.

Don

With inspiraton from Saltybell...I've gone the route that Don mentioned above with 2x4's and skinning (w/cabinet face and plywood). I usually buy 2x10's and rip them down to the width I need for my face frames. Then using pocket screws you can make a very sturdy yet "light" frame.

Here's one I've got for a 6 foot 180 gallon tank:

2004vhh.jpg

This is one I build for a 4 foot 120g, with the face frame and top trim attached:

24ng1hd.jpg

On the 120g stand I used magnets for the removable plywood side panels:

mi04dx.jpg

2r56l4o.jpg

jhy0y8.jpg

I can't find the thread, but I recently saw a stand on here that was a welded frame with a wooden skin that just sat against the stand. It wasn't attached and could be removed completely to allow unimpeded access to the sump. The mods may be able to scrounge up a link to that thread.

If you want to build a 2 X 4 stand and then skin it follow the template below. Assuming that you're tank is 6 or 7' long I'd also put a brace in the center, front and back. Build that stand and then attach panels and trim to it to suit your taste. Build a canopy for it and you're done. You could also do a hanging lighting kit and skip the canopy.

diy-aquarium-stand.jpg

Here's what I did when I upgraded. I have a steel stand and I built a skin that covers the front and both sides. It has doors for regular maintenance but if you really need access the skin comes off. You can also drain the sump and slide it out the right side of the stand. I wanted to use the magnet setup that gothunder used but when I started thinking about the trim work I wanted I didn't think I had enough skill to make it fit together tightly enough to look good. Magnets would have been ideal with a steel stand.

Mike

110.jpg

040.jpg

114.jpg

Last edited:
The other benny of a steel stand is it allows a few extra inches under the stand for a bigger sump and taller skimmer. I have a steel stand with individual wood panels that just velcro on and off for easy access. My tank/stand is 30" deep front to back and I easily fit a 26" wide sump under it with a little room to spare.

Here's one that I'm putting the finishing touches on. Basic build with 2x structural frame and then face frames with a lot of moulding work.

IMG_0692.jpg

Well after many months the tank sitting on the floor and no time to work on it the wood is finally bought. Heater gets wired in tomorrow, a must to have if working in the garage. Planning on building a wood stand using 2x4 and 2x6. I'll see how much I get done this coming week.

Back