new tank and sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tbremer

I currently have a 55 gallon tank with a hob skimmer that i will be transferring to a 75 gallon tank. I plan on building a sump for the new tank and I need some advice on how to lay it out. my design right now would have part of my hob skimmer in the input side of the sump and from there having a micro bubble trap baffle entering into the refugium with a sand bed, macro algae and live rock after that section the water would enter into the return section with at least a 700 gph return pipe divided by egg crate. does this sound like it would work?

Your idea sounds sound :)

I've always had sumps that are very simple. 20 gallon long. Split in half with egg crate. One side skimmer, one side refugium (no sand though). The way I keep out air bubbles is I don't use my return for flow. I run it super slow, works great, no micro bubbles and pretty darn quit. (My skimmer makes more noise)

Not sure what HOB skimmer you have, but most suck, would recommend upgrading to some kind of in sump skimmer. You could find a good one on here used for like $80-100 (something like a NW-150 Octopus) or a really good one for like $200 (taken from a post on here...SWC Xtreme 200 with the Sicce PSK 2500 pump. Skimmer used about 4 months. $200)

Back