New Tank & Fish / Having Problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

1jared1

Here are some pictures of my new up and running 29 Gallon Tank, also some pictures of the new tenants.

I am having a problem with one of the regular Ocellaris though. See the white bumps? Anyone have a clue what they might be and how to get rid of them?

Wow...I've never seen anything like that before. Is the fish acting any differently other than what you would consider "normal" (i'e breathing funny, sluggish etc)? I figure Steve S might might be a good person to take a stab at it. He's been really good with things like this. I wish you luck and hope the clown comes around:)

It looks like lymphocystis to me. I would do a search on it and check out some pictures to compare. It's not necessarily fatal.

This is a bit steve-s wrote on it, hope it helps:

I copied this small part from an article I wrote for another forum but in a nut shell...

Lymphocystis is a benign dermatotropic affliction caused by an iridovirus. Lymphocystis typically confines itself to skin and fin areas which superficially affect the health of fish. Although unsightly, it is not life-threatening unless it interferes with proper gill function or grows over the mouth opening.

Usually the result of poor water conditions, Lymphocystis can quickly become a scourge on the affected fish unless steps are taken to alleviate the condition. There is no medicinal cure for Lymphocystis but it is easily treated otherwise. Commonly, not all fish within the same system will become infected unless living conditions are quite substandard. In most cases, it will be confined to one or two fish, depending on stock levels. There is no need to quarantine the fish otherwise.

The best prevention is a clean, healthy, stressless environment and proper feeding routine of highly nutritious and varied food types.

The clown is acting as normal as can be, no heavy breathing or anything. The water conditions are normal maybe a little sign of Nitrates. I feed them once a day with a homemade mixture of one of those sea food medlie packages from Fred Meyers with some things that I have added (vit. C tablet, Garlic Powder, Lemon juice, and chunks of cod). I will try to look this lymphocystis up and see if the pictures match. Thanks for the info.

It is lymphocytis, a viral disease. Its symptom is small whitish grape like protusions, just like your photo. Varied diet, 'good' water quality, and if the fish is healthy before the onset, its immune system should be able to overcome this.

Tangee(susie) has given a nice little quote as well.

Best,
Ilham

Next opportunity when you make up a batch of food, also try adding some Selcon or other liquid vitamin high in HUFA. As well as Beta Glucan and some garlic extract. Immune boosers and antioxidnats added to the foods will improve the the speed in which it heals.

As far as the water is concerned, even though the specs may check out okay, it's still a good idea to step up the water changes some. The standard tests are not an indication of DOC levels and is what will normally fuel viruses and bacterial issues. I would suggest a few 20% water changes (well aged/aerated for 24 hrs first) every other day for the next week and be sure you do weekly changes (if not already) after that. Along with the vitamin suggestions, it should clear up nicely. :)

Cheers
Steve

Back