New tank problems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thrawn

Hey guys. So, I set up a new tank on Monday. 10 gallon, brand new tank, got it free from a friend's mom who I bought another tank from. Anyway, according to her, she's had the tank set up for about 2 1/2 months now. She cycled it with LR and a piece of shrimp. Never ended up adding anything because she bought a house and is moving in a couple weeks(which is why she was willing to give one of her many tanks up for free). She also had a 40G saltwater tank running that she was giving away livestock from because she didn't want to worry about them through the move. I took a damsel from the tank as that was the only fish she had left that would fish in a 10. Got the tank all set up, saved 100% of the water. Everything seemed great until last night I noticed the fish had some discoloration on his dorsal fin. Took a look at him tonight and it's gotten really bad and his breathing is really rapid.
Fish2.jpg

fish1.jpg

Tested it on Tuesday night and everything was fine except the ph was at 7.8. Tested tonight and now I have .5 ammonia. Anybody have an idea of what that is on him?

Thanks for the help.

Hmm I personally can't tell anything. Have you fed him at all? did he actually eat?
What are your specific water parameters?
Do you have new salt to maybe do a 2 gallon water change?
.5 ammonia isn't all bad. Damsels are usually hardy fish too and can withstand stuff like that.
Let us know.
Thanks

Fed him Mysis shrimp Tuesday and Wednesday, he ate a very small amount on Tuesday but refused last night. Tried feeding him mysis and flake today and he refused both. Salinity is 1.024, PH is still at 7.8, Nitrate and nitrite are 0, and the ammonia is .5. I have a bucket of salt mixing right now for a water change. My main concern is that it's some kind of disease or something that would cause problems with future livestock. Never seen anything quite like what he has. I don't know if you can really tell from the picture but it almost looks like some of his scales are sticking out.

I dont really see anything also? Is it possible to get a better picture, not so red? Would also suggest a waterchange. Amonia burns the gills of fish, so that may be why it isnt eating.

Well fishy didn't make it =( sorry the picture quality sucked, it's from my phone. I'll do a water test when i get home from work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Well, I would bet your tank is going thru a cycle again. Do you have any ammonia, nitrate & nitrite test kits?
I would have the water parameters checked.
Dont give up. Do a good water change and check the water parameters regularly.

It happens. Tested the water today. Definitely cycling again as I'm in the nitrite spike. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back