New tanks questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

I have started a new tank 29 gallon tank. I also have a 58 gallon tank that I have had running for 3 years. The thing of it is I can not remember if I did water changes during the cycle period on the 58 gallon.

The new tank was setup and I let the water sit for several day and then added sand and the next day added LR. Do I leave the tank alone until it cycles or do I make water changes?

I tested the water last night, there was no ammonia showing up and the tank did test very high for nitrites. Would the ammonia cycle be such a short period of time? Being that the rock has only been in the tank for a few days and it is pre-cured rock not totally cured. Once the die off on the LR starts will the ammonia spike even though I am already showing high nitrites?

Yes, leave the tank alone. Water changes will not be needed until you have occupants creating pollution. The chemistry will move up and down and sideways while different colonies of bacteria take foothold and create their own byproducts as food for the next group of bacteria. Fun to watch it run it's course.

Thanks Herefishyfishy, You have been very helpful with a lot of the questions I have been posting.

My pleasure idgy, you seem like a kind spirit and your avitar reminds me of a departed lifelong best friend named Proonch, who lived 22 human years.

why dont you take some of your sand and rocks from your 58 gallon and place in there? i just got a new tank and used the old sand and rocks. totally bypassed the cycle period. so far anyways its been two months with no issues.

Back