New to reefing with a couple questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kenneth206

Ahoy RF,

I'm new to fishkeeping but I've been reading saltwater forums (myfishtank.net and reeffrontiers.com) for hours a day for about a month. I've also read all of the Resource Library on here with external links. Lots of very good information. I still have a couple questions though, I'll see if I can explain them clearly without pictures (a camera is on my list of purchases coming up).

I recently bought a 55g & stand on CL. Before anything else I'm going to be cleaning and hand buffing the inside of the tank. It looks decent with water in it but I figure if it's dry and I have time, why not make it pristine right.

It came with a 300watt heater, 2 MJ 1200s, hydrometer, thermo, test kit and a weird backpack type of filter that I believe is a Aqua Clear. Basically the filter sucks water up through a long narrow cylinder and disperses into 2 chambers with a spot for this weird looking foam block held in place with these plastic scrubber pad looking things. The water filters through then overflows out of each chamber back into the tank. I've been reading that most people use a trickle filter of sorts (thin layer of water off the top of the water) down into a sump where a protein skimmer is etc. I'm really trying not to use a sump since I'm in an apartment and I have nightmares of flooding. Can I get away with this filter and a backpack style protein skimmer (I was thinking Aqua C Remora with a prefilter too) if I want to do a reef tank, or FOWLR? I do have a spot I can put a 20g sump if I have to, I'm just a little scared of floods, hah. I did read some stuff on valves or something or other that helps prevent these but I also read about these failing.

Next question. I have 2 choices right now, crushed coral substrate or bare bottom. I know I can harm fish that turn your sand and clean it, a certain type of gobby I believe. I'm not particularly attached to gobbies, but I do find the idea of a fish cleaning my sand kind of neat. If this is the case do I absolutely have to have fine sand, or can fine crushed coral be used? It seems pretty small as it is and relatively smooth. Like I said, since I already have the CC substrate, I may just use that and figure out what livestock I can select that will not be harmed by it.

Still researching lights, skimmer, livestock etc, just wanted to see what you guys thought. I could _almost_ answer my own questions but a lot of the data I found conflicts or is 15 years old (although still valid I'm sure). Just curious what kind of response I can get.

I'm also tempted to do a FW tank, since this is my first fish tank ever and my chance for success is probably higher... Thanks for your thoughts.

Kenneth

<---is no expert.

As for sand sifter gobby fish... The crushed coral can be an issue since a large piece may not sift so well through his gills... use Fine sand (i learned this from local salt water fish store).

As for Sump I have been researching to and buying parts every month till my new tank is ready. I was talking to some people here on Reef that sumps will overflow if you have something too small for the volume of your tank... if you measure things out correctly your sump should NOT overflow when power goes out...it should hold the water that is overflowing into it ..once the water line dips below the "overflow box lip" it wont drain anymore.

The flooding I have read and talked to others about is caused by losing your siphon from Overflow to the Sump....sump is still pumping water into the main tank but the return is not flowing...causing your tank to flood.

J-Tube type overflow boxes are known for it... McGyvering a siphon pump to keep the siphon on the J-Tube or using a CPR overflow that has that built into its design will prevent that.

As for skimming I know and seen several tanks from users of this site... Most just use Skimmer only....the more advanced users use a sump system to hide all the equipment so the tank looks nicer.

Trickle filter? Sounds like you are describing an Overflow kit. Which I touched a little on above.

Those with reefs advised me to just get the best skimmer I can afford and have plenty of live rock...thats all.

I added a fluval 205 canister from my old fresh water setup to add media for specific uses ... Like Phosphate removers, Carbon... and added bio+mechanical filtering...not needed but I use it cause I have it.

I think wait for the Great White Shark to reply....hes very good at keeping us newbies informed.

Last edited:
Welcome to Reeffrontiers!
So if you can buff it, I guess its acrylic? you could drill it for an overflow no prob with less of a risk than with different methods(U-tube, whatever else people come up with.

Personally, I'd go with bear bottom and if you dont like it you can always add sand or CC later. I also don't like the looks of crushed coral.

You can get rid of the HOB filter and just use a skimmer. You could put an Aqua C Remora on there and it would probably do OK. I've been running mine on my 50g with alright success. It depends on the bioload you're going to have(a.k.a. what and how many fish) and what corals you want to keep.
I think there is an octopus hang on you can get for $200+ that you can mod to be pretty good without having any visual pollution. There are a couple of experts on this site than can help you with that.(mark/skimmerwhisperer being one of them)

FW is a little less challenging, less rewarding(IMO), and less expensive. Also I don't believe you learn as much as with SW. your choice. :D

I think I'd start buffing and while your doing that decide wether this is going to be a reef or fish only. If reef is itgoing to be softy or sps. If FO is it going to be aggessive or peaceful. This decision must be made before anyone can give you any accurate advice.

Don

warforged: Thanks for the tips, I'll take those into consideration. I definitely was thinking 50-60# of LR, in fact I saw some for sale in Marysville earlier. I did mean overflow, still unsure about how I want to approach that... I started WAR during open beta, I'm on Dark Crag and Praag, good stuff.

soyadrink: I was trying to stay away from drilling the tank since it's kind of irreversible, but I do like your point about that method having less chance for failure, and I did see some good howtos on drilling acrylic, I'll start looking into that. I like how sand looks, but barebottom also seems like a very viable option, I just hate how my bottom looks. I think I read that something eventually will cover it, I want to say corallitte? Time to research the crap out of BB tanks =) I'm also in Ballard, it's a nice little pocket of Seattle.

DonW: Good point. I was going at it backwards trying to see what I could do with the equipment I have. I'll decide exactly what I want and go at it from that angle.

Basically my end goal is a couple fish, a couple coral and a cleanup crew and see if I can keep it going. I have a couple months of setup (figure out sump, QT, water storage/prep) then cycling etc so I'll get back to you all in a bit. Thanks everyone.

Kenneth

I am a freshy that converted over to Salt and I will tell you Salt is way more fun then Fresh. Since I see you are in the Seattle area you should check out PSAS (Puget Sound Aquarium Society) PSAS Website. I am new to Saltwater and decided to join and I learned so much in just one meeting. Everyone is really cool and they even have a mentor program that you may be interested in. You also get a discount at your local LFS which I will tell you pays for the $30 membership to PSAS. I am very glad I signed up and know if I have any problems I have some where to go and people to ask questions. There are alot of members on this site who I am sure will be able to answer things better for you :) Welcome to RF :)

I have a 55g with a Mag 350 (canister) and the Tetra overflow filter that came with the tank. I have been running this for the last 4 yrs. I have crushed coral substrate about 50 lbs of rock. 6 fish, snails, hermits, lots of zoas, frogspawn, Monti cap, favia and a devils hand leather.

how much time do you have on your hands? that would be my question.
freshwater is easier and less maintenence. you can still have a cool freshwater tank especially with a planted aquascape with a school of fish.
saltwater on the other hand takes patience, water testing and yes alot of money. this of course taken into consideration depends on your animals and corals.
i have went into freshwater when i first started this hobby and will go back to it when i retire from this hobby. but what fun saltwater has to offer. its an endless obsession to achieve a maintenence free saltwater tank!
whatever you decide make sure you have fun with it. many times ive seen people go into saltwater, spend alot of money and unfortunately get out of it because that 200 dollar angel belly up and died, and they dont know why..
keep up the reading and its good you took the first steps in joining this wonderful forum. no question is ever disregarded here.
Welcome to Reef Frontiers.

Glad I could help... You will notice Donw is my favorite question target cause he replies fast.
Feel free to help me pummel him =p

PSAS is a great Idea and recently learned more of it...I am joining myself here next payday..

FYI..bit off but Check Barrier Reef forums section they have a huge sale comming November 15th 16th...Huge..

Blue Sierra is also having one this month sometime...no date yet from what I last heard 2 weeks ago.

Good time to go buy stuff once you figure out what to get.

As for WH: Yah I am having a blast with the game. Siege Warfare castle take downs is always fun. If you are alone and low level you are welcome to join my guild ..our alliance is big...they do many events to. Easily can get you in

Back