New to RF

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seattlereefs

Hi, I'm new to this website.

Used want to know more about reefs and keeping them healthy on a marginal budget.

Thanks.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers! could you define "marginal" I would say that entry level is probably around $500 buying everying used and getting up and running. The sky is literaly the limit though. I am getting ready to sell a nice system here soon that is basically plug and play. a 68g with custom sump crammed underneath, great skimmer and return pumps(36x28x24) full of live rock, includes corals, and fish. biopellet and carbon reactors, reefkeeper controller, uv with new bulb,auto top off, new mh and vho lights and very nice cherry stained stand and canopy and will be asking around $900 to give you an idea. I prob wont get a serious buyer though and will end up parting it out and making more off it in the long run. What I mean to say is always look for a deal that includes as much as possible cuz buying stuff individually will nickle and dime you to death.

Love the tank dimensions kip.
Would I could get it. And throw my stuff in.
But back on subject.

As he said you can go as far and big as you want.
Smaller tanks have more chance of things goings crazy faster than a bigger tank.
I started with a 29 gallon I found at a yard sale.
10 dollars.
Then the good things you want are lights and a skimmer.
Those two there are probably 2 to 3 hundred for your basics.
Then you'd need salt, test kits, a heater. Probably another hundred or so
Most expensive is rock. If you were to buy live rock it's 6$ or more a pound. You want a pound per gallon of water usually. Best is 2 lbs per gallon I was told. This is you bio filter.

Best way around that is to get dead/dry rock. Clean it and cure it yourself.
You can get dry rock for a dollar or two dollars a pound.
Sometimes cheaper.

Problems with going bigger is you'll need bigger heater lights, and skimmer.
Then it starts to get expensive fast.
Good luck with getting something going. It's not very hard once you get everything. Just take your time and don't be afraid to ask for help. Everyone here is very helpfull.

I will also add flow to the list of essentials. skimmer, rock, lights, and flow...now just add a tank full of saltwater.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers.
Craigs list is a great place to find a lot of equipment. I got started with some decent equipment for very little cost from a craigs list. Post a wanted ad. You will get responses.

Check out the Puget Sound Aquarium Society forum in the club forums.
There is a meeting every month and it is a great place to meet people and learn a lot.

Heres a short guide for you if your looking to buy used.

AQUARIUMS: Glass

If it's a year old or UNDER - $2.00 - $3.00 per gallon.
If it's OVER a year old - $1.00 per gallon.
Hexagons - $2.00 or less/gallon.
BowFronts - $1.50 - $2.00 per gallon (depending on condition)

AQUARIUMS: Acrylic

If it's a year old or UNDER - $1.50 - $2.50 per gallon.
If it's OVER a year old - $1.00 per gallon.
Hexagons - $1.50 or less/gallon.
BowFronts - $1.50 - $2.00 per gallon (depending on condition)

STANDS & CANOPIES:

$1.00 per gallon of aquarium the stand holds. (REAL wood - add another $.50 to $1.00 depending on CONDITION)
$.50 - $.75 per gallon of aquarium the canopy covers. (REAL wood - add another $.50 to $1.00 depending on CONDITION)

GLASS TOPS and PLASTIC HOODS:

25% - 40% of retail

LIGHTING:

WITH newer bulbs:
Incandescent - $5.00 (usually only 10 gallons or less are incan's)
Fluorescent - $10.00 per foot
Compact Fluorescent - $20 - $30 per foot (based on condition of housing, cord)
Halide & Specialty - 50% of retail for ballasts; you should buy NEW bulbs unless they are evidently lightly used.
REALLY High-end Fluorescent lighting - 60% of retail

W/O bulbs or OLD bulbs:
Incandescent - Free
Fluorescent - $7.00 per foot
Compact Fluorescent - $15 - $20 per foot
Halide & Specialty - 50% of retail for ballasts; you should buy NEW bulbs unless they are very evidently lightly used.
REALLY High-end Fluorescent lighting - 40% of retail

ACCESSORIES:

Saltwater - i.e. - protein skimmers, powerheads, wave-makers, chillers, etc....50% - 65% of retail (UNDER 1 year of use)
Saltwater - i.e. - protein skimmers, powerheads, wave-makers, chillers, etc....25% - 40% of retail (OVER 1 year of use)
Freshwater - 25% of retail (regardless of age - very easily replaced)

GRAVEL:

Natural colors - .15 - .20 cents per pound (clean)
Other colors - .05 cents per pound

HEATERS:

UNDER a year (of use) old -
50W - $2
100W - $4
150 - 200W - $6
250 - 300W - $10
OVER a year old - free (heaters aren't trustworthy enough after a year of use to justify $$)

FILTERS -

UNDER a year old - 50% of retail
OVER a year old - 25% of retail

THINGS TO CONSIDER:

An empty aquarium is ONLY an aquarium. *****
ONLY when full of livestock (that is included in the sale) is a tank considered a SALT or FRESH aquarium.
There is NO SUCH THING as an EMPTY saltwater or freshwater aquarium.
It is JUST an aquarium.

****If you have the EQUIPMENT, ACCESSORIES and /or LIVESTOCK for a SALTWATER hobby, then it is a "SALTWATER AQUARIUM SET-UP."
****If you have the EQUIPMENT, ACCESSORIES and /or LIVESTOCK for a FRESHWATER hobby, then it is a "FRESHWATER AQUARIUM SET-UP."

REHOMING LIVESTOCK:

Check local prices before you buy someone's critters.
Often, buying livestock from a private party is better - especially if they have had (it) for a while w/o problems.

MISC.:

Chips, cracks & leakage are all signs of wear and reduce the prices significantly.
Water marks, discolorations, scratches (esp. on acrylic) and hard-water deposits are usually cosmetic. Because many can be removed with effort, they need not affect price.
Accessories are always great to 'throw in' as a bonus when buying a tank, but pricing everything, stating 'will not separate' and expecting a quick sale - not good. Not many people are not going to use all YOUR stuff if they have other ideas for THEIR new tank. Sometimes people say says " I've invested X amount" I don't give a rat's $#@ what they invested. It's used equipment now and will be sold at used equipment price.

Welcome to RF. I started with just a salt water tank and fish. It had a small amount of live rock and it grew from there. Pretty soon a 40 gallon system grew to a 100 gallon system and then to a 200 gallon system. As your passion for the hobby grows so will your tanks. Money and time can rein us reefers in a bit, (I only have a 45 gallon system now) but it can be a wonderful and fulfilling hobby.

There are a bunch of "STICKY POSTS" at he beginning of the "NEW TO REEFKEEPING Forum" You should read them. It is a great place to start.
There is lots and lots of info about reefkeeping on the NET. use it!!!!
The more you research the better off you will be . It will give you a better understanding on what you will need, and what it takes to be successful in this hobby.
The average base line cost to start a small tank with used equipment will be near $500, but you can go much higher.
I read and researched for 6 mo. before I bought ANYTHING!!

The down side to getting into the hobby, " You dont know how you want to run your system, until have already ran one"
Good luck!!

Back