New to Seattle

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Eric Boerner

Web Guru
Just move to Seattle from Los Angeles. I have been a longtime member of MASLAC and Reef Central. I broke down my tanks last year in anticipation of my move up here, and sold off my tanks. I have most of my equipment and will probably start a reef back up when the wife gets her kitchen remodel. :|

Anyway, I've been doing some preliminary scouting around the north/downtown Seattle area for LFS' and I have to say its pretty damn dismal up here for the marine hobby. Of the 6 stores I had planned on going to, 4 were no longer in business and 2 had very limited (read: brown & bleached) corals.

Hoping to find a fantastic LFS that has decent stock before I commit myself to repurchasing a new system. Also, does anyone have a good contact for an acryllic tank manufacturer that isn't going to quote me a Bill Gates Aquarium? My first run in with a custom builder here had me laughing at the price. I will be looking for a 180 with stand and canopy, sump & return, refugium and probably a 45 gallon frag tank.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Seattle! Some of the better stores in the area are Blue Sierra over in Issaquah, Indoor Reef down in Tacoma, The Shark Reef in Silverdale and Ocean Reef Aquatics in Polsbou. IAP (Innovative Aquarium Products) makes great acrylic tanks at reasonable prices. They all have sub forums here and I have had nothing but good experiences with all of them. I like The Shark Reef and Ocean Reef Aquatics myself, but they require a ferry ride so it can be tough to get over there as much as I would like.

The people on these forums are great and a majority are local and go out of thier way to help thier fellow hobbyists.

Eric - I'd also check with Jason @ Clear Fabrications for a great tank manufacturer. He's also a sponsor on here and does amazing work.

As far as LFS, I think Paul hit the ones I'd recommend. But I do agree with you it's dismal up here and most LFS are crazy at prices they try to charge us. Thank god we support each other.

Welcome Eric. You have it summed up for you here, there is also Saltwater City in Bellevue which my wife has been to, I haven't, I understand they have nice stuff but not so nice prices. I live about 2 hours north of you and if you go about 1 hour north of you to Mount Vernon there is Under the Sea, a fairly small shop but they have a nice small selection with great people running the store and very fair prices, they are still getting their frags ready but I suspect that once they get the propigating rolling that they selection will be very good and the prices will continue to be good. I personally do any 'fish' shopping in Canada (10 miles away) but I can't bring back inverts, LR or coral so these days it is either online or many hours in the car.

Again welcome and I hope you love the PNW as much as I and many others on this forum do.

-Jason:cool:

If you ever make it down to Portland, they have a couple good stores there (Upscales, Waves Marine, Soutas)
Really good sps selection.

Barry at Kahuna Corals is in Renton. Be very specific on what livestock you are looking for. the two tank builders in town are IAP and Clear Fabrications. PM me If you want specifics.

By the way PSAS meetings can get really good people and turnout. try and make it to them. We always are looking to get new members. (We try and brainwash them)

Welcome to Reef Frontiers.
If you ever make it to Spokane, Aquatic Dreams is an outstanding store with outstanding corals and such and they dont get any nicer than Kevin.

welcome

Eric,
I hope to see you at the July meeting. That will give you a chance to meet with people like yourself. That will also give you the chance to see which corals are available around you. You made a good choice to communicate on here. There are some big names that cruise this forum.
wish you luck and welcome
Sincerely,
Ed Hahn:)

welcome to reef frontiers. I echo the above. To be honest, I get most of my dry goods online, most of my livestock from local reefers. We are a pretty active bunch fragging and swapping. A very good all around group and I think you will find these boards pretty active with a good temperment.

Mat

Glad to hear there is an active club in the area. When is the next meeting, I'd love to sit in.

I wont be in the building phase for several months, but all the permits have been cleared through the wife and she's pretty supportive on setting up another tank here. She just wants to get her priorities done first. :)

The July meeting is on the 22nd.

Leng Sy will give a talk, and we will do a visit of two local stores.. :)

Best,
Ilham

just thought i'd say no one mentioned The Fish Store in Seattle, kinda expensive, not the best selection but nonetheless there if you need it, i've never been out to the shark reef and Ocean Reef Aquatics but they sound like amazing places, i don't get a chance to go to that side of the water, but one thing i think is great is reef frontiers, i prefer it greatly over reefcentral because the people are a lot friendlier in general and more local and easy to meet up and such, just a few thoughts

Wow! Eric made the front page of the Seattle PI this morning! :)

450ehome24_Boerner.jpg

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/275258_ehome24.html

thanks for Picture, nice looking family.

I know a fellow Reefer that is a Real estate person close to you. That would be Disturbed Reefer. I know he is pretty cool and laid back. Wish you guys the best of luck and look forward to meeting you. Its nice to put a face on person you are talking too..:)

They said we were going to be in the paper, but they didn't say we were going to be on the front page!

Hope all this fame doesn't go to our head. :)

Well Eric now we all know what you look like so If you dont show up to our meeting in July then we will know.

Back