New use for carbon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Slickdonkey

Drink me
Here's a new use for that extra carbon you have lying around. This should be a simple DIY project.

I wish I'd thought of it first. Maybe I could make a version for humans?

yeah I was thinking I've seen some pretty out there inventions in Europe and Austrlia as well as Asian countries. I definitely don't think it's only in America either but Americans probably do top some of the crazier things. :)

Hopefully they'll teach you about pet nutrition in your training. I've been hard pressed to find a Vet that adequately knows nutrition. They always recommend Science Diet and I just cringe.

Anyway - sorry off topic :)

well processed kibble type dog foods that have grain and such in them will definitely create gas along with other issues.

You guys says its everywhere but America has more patents and makes more patents a year than any other country by a huge margin

mattseattle said:
well processed kibble type dog foods that have grain and such in them will definitely create gas along with other issues.

Definitely up for debate. Nutrition was partially ignored on the small animal side for quite some time, and is recently becoming more and more a part of the curriculum. Much like the marine hobby, research is ongoing and dogmas are constantly changing. I have seen both sides of the argument re: cooked starches/grains in canine foods, and don't know enough yet to make a decision. I will say that just because a veterinarian is telling you that corn is "good" does not mean that he/she is uneducated on the matter (although it could very well be the case). It can simply be a matter of opinion, and the same goes with Hills/Iams/Purina vs. raw diets/BARF diets. Also, often the best diet is based solely on your own dog (high protein in a dog with renal/hepatic issues may not be so great).

Fortunatly for me, I plan on dealing with dairy/beef rations, where eructation and flatulance are par for the course.

Sorry to digress...

Take er easy
Scott T.

hmm ok dood what do you think about the chicken, beef bone diet :p .
If you ever go to mexico city, you'll see dogs eating bones that their owner give them... unless you're wealthy... then you probably buy those purina things, otherwise you'll see tons and tons of street dogs eating a chicken bone.
are chicken bones any better, i doubt it but i was just wondering :p .

the whole bone thing is a debate as well....some say you should never give a dog a bone of any type. i don't agree with that philosophy. i give sophie raw turkey necks and other types of bones with meat on them on a regular basis. it massages the gums and cleans the teeth as well as works out their jaw muscles. especially in chows you need to worry about things like that. also, i'm one to believe more in a raw diet than one made of processed grains and cooked and stored in a warehouse for months.

here is a perfect example and of course it's my example and it's a real world scenario. my cat has digestive problems. i've taken her to 4 different vets at 3 different clinics and all of them tried to sell me on the science diet food saying that would solve it. 1 of them even tried to put my cat on steriods and the other tried to put her on prozac saying she was a nervous cat and nothing would solve the issue. i tried every canned and kibble type of food out there and nothing solved her issues. i finally talked to this lady online that said her cat had the same issue and she was feeding her cat raw ground rabbit. (i know it's kind of freaky to think about) within 3 days my cat was cleared up and has not had a problem since. her weight remains constant and her teeth gums are in much better shape.

i know i definitely hijacked this thread! :) but i like to share things that work.

Scott - that is awesome to hear that Vets are being trained more now in dietary needs. I called the Washington State Vet board and asked them what the curriculum was like at the Vet school here and they told me students only took 3 hours of dietary type classes. That definitely seems under par to me. Nutrition is the under lying cause of many many many health issues. I view it as vital in a vets training!

now i'll hush! :)

Back