New Zoa Frag Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ajnweb

Hello everyone, here are some pictures of my new frag tank.

10 gallon glass tank
Current Dual Satelite 2x40 watt power compact light
130 gph HOB filter with Chemi Pure
Heater
Koralia Nano Powerhead

Nice looking setup! What are you planning on growing them out on? Rubble/frag discs/etc.? Thx, D

I am currently housing duplicates of all my zoas while my main colonies are in a rubbermaid container (in case of a disaster in the rubbermaid container) awaiting my new Current Solana tank. The new tank will be mainly zoas and mushrooms, with a few LPS. I plan on growing them out in the frag tank on pieces of live rock, I like the way it looks a little better than frag discs, although frag discs are much easier to deal with. I usually just take a piece of live rock and break it into about 2" x 2" pieces then glue the frags to the rock. I lined the sides and back of the tank with aluminum foil to get some bounce back from the light, although I think I will change out the foil for either plastic or glass mirrors, as suggested by Kevinpo.

With a zoa and lps frag tank, does anyone see the need to have a sand bed in this tank, I was thinking bare bottom would be the easiest to keep clean.

Bare bottom will be easier to keep clean and provide flow lower in the tank with. The main advantage of live sand, aside from the beneficial critters that live in it, are buffering and denitrification.

If you have a remote deep sand bed, it'll work great!! You could even do one in a 5 gallon bucket. Otherwise, watch your Alk and pH and test often for nitrates.

With all those great looking frags, you could surround each with pieces of rubble rock. The Zoanthids will spread to the rubble fairly quickly, giving you more frags!!

Tank looks great!!

I have seen this tank in person, and it was put together with a very meticulous eye for detail (it still had the "surveying marks" on it for making sure the racks were level). Almost as if an engineer did it. :)

Good one Chad!

What has me worried now is the amount of frags I have on the shelf, not sure if there is enough light getting through to the frags on the bottom :D

Back