New zoas...Please help ID

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Scampy

I am not normally an impulse buyer but when I saw these I had to have them. They had a tag that said mixed zoo rock $39.95 and I couldnt help myself. My pep shrimp has been all over them for the last couple hours so they aren't all open yet. There is at least 150 of the little blue ones and those are the zoas I was curious about. No matter what they are...for the number of polyps I thought the price was good. When they pep leaves them alone and they open up I'll post other pics. Curious what the big ones are also. Thanks for looking.
PICT0895.jpg

PICT0899.jpg

Here they are after the pep left them alone.
PICT0938.jpg

PICT0967.jpg

and here is one with the flash...if that helps any
PICT0985.jpg

Last edited:
Have to agree with Michael on the Fire and Ice
The large ones are clearly Button Palys

It's a definate on the button polyps, but couldn't say for shure on the others. The color of the light in the picture kinda throws me off. Could be fire and ice, but looks like something else to me. Definately not Tubbs! Could be an unnamed morph of almost any kind.

After 10 days the skirts are changing to a deep red. They were brownish when I got them. I'm about 99% sold on the Fire and Ice ID. Here is what they look like today.
PICT1111.jpg

They are NOT fire and Ice if you notice the red skirt is from the lighting and poor pic quality. in the flash pic the skirts are obviously brown not red..
HENCH not fire and ice
these are fire and ice
kids087.jpg

and these are tubbs blues
april9089.jpg

Last edited:
Almost zero chance of them being Tubs. I very frequently see large rocks covered with F&I show up in mixed bargain rocks. Almost never the same with tubbs which have a VERY blue color to the face in lieu of the mottled colors of F&I. F&I can range from pale almost grey to slightly tourquose and skirts from brown to red.

Fire%20&%20Ice%20Zoolg.jpg

F&I
Zoa36-TubbsBlue.jpg

Tubb blue

Take your pick:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...arch+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch:1&sa=1&q=tubbs+blue&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

SHUUUSH mike your not helping :)
Here fishy fishy your right they come in many morphs..
I would like to see a better pic of these zoo's

Right now the lights are 50/50 PC. I'm ordering a cheap vho fixture later this week and should have it the following week. I dont want to put to much into this tank cause I am about to start a larger one and need to get a light fixture for that one also. I'll try screwing with the white balance and other settings later and take more pics. The color of the skirts in the last pic is spot on. The blue in the centers is a little darker in person but not much.

I'd say maybe a similar morph to fire and ice, but with that flash picture and the brown skirts not too close.

I have a cheap camera and any other adjustments make things look really red or purple. For kicks I tried taking a video. It cant focus in close so it's pretty useless but here it is anyway.

I got a new light and can turn off actinics. Here they are with only 10k.
PICT1927.jpg

Back