Newbie Mistake.....HELP!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bigd

Well had my ASM G3 skimmer for a whole day and a half before I managed to break it. Set it up in the sump along with my over-flow and return pumps yesterday. Watch it for a couple hours and everything seems to be working great.....well I had to go to work and I come home to the horrible sound of the pump running DRY. Apparently the overflow is losing syphon slowy or wont keep up. Any how the magnetic Needle Impeller is screwed. Does anybody know if the pump motor or housing would still be fine (and I could just replace impeller??) or do I need a whole new pump? Im really stressed since my live rock is coming this week and I wanted it all ready to go. Do you guys know where I can get parts. Dont have a # for ASM or anything. Im gonna call saltycritters (where I bought it) tommorrow.

Thanks inadvance for any advice

Last edited:
What pump did you get with the ASM G3? If you can give us that info we can help direct you to the right places. Alot of the time you can buy replacement parts for some of the pumps from Marine Depot. They will even ship fedex overnight if you are willing to pay the price.

Duane

well worse case you can buy a new pump for less than $100. I think it uses the sedra500. You could also upgrade the pump size. have you tried running the pump by itself in freshwater and cleaning out the magnet to see if it still works?

Oh ....sorry the pump was a sedra 5000

The needle impeller is broken so It wont work in fresh water(i tried). Just wondering if I need to buy a whole new pump or just the needle wheel.....

Last edited:
the actual needle's are broken? or does the impeller not spin? fishsupply.com has the best prices on pumps. what happens when you plug it in?

well.... it's not spinning...just rocking (may be because the needle impeller is screwed) ...can you actually mess up the electric coil in the housing??

Back