newbie need help with sps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trekel

trekel21
ok what im i doing wrong i want to keep sps but every frag that i buy doesnt last more than 2 to 3 weeks first igot my phos down then i replaced my aqua-c 120 for a moded octo 200 ive been testing all week but this frag is starting to bleach

these are test results api test kit
2/20/08-dkh 9-calc 360-phos 0 maybe a little higher-ph 8.0
i think i dosed 60 ml between these periods 2part c balance
2/25/08-dkh 7-calc 460-phos 0-ph 8.3 DOSED 60 ML EACH C-BALANCE
2/26/08-dkh 8-calc 500-phos 0-ph 8.4
2/27/08-dkh 7-calc 480-phos 0-ph8.2 to 8.3
2/29/08-dkh 8-calc-480-phos 0-ph8.2 to 8.3
0 nitrates the system is 165 total gal i understand c-balance isnt the best route but i thought i could use this to get me buy untill i bought a calc reactor .the frag looks like a peice of digitata i thought this would be a good coral to start with because i heard it was easier to care for i know you guys probably need more info to diagnos the problem i will answer any questions
this is the 3rd peice of this ive had

Its hard to tell from the pic but that tip could have been stung by all of those aptasia right near it.

Looks like you have a pretty good set up. SPS need alot of flow. I only see two powerheads. How much GPH total in your 165g display. Also, I see no reference to salinity, or magnesium. Id guess your MG level is low because your DKH/Ca looks out of balance to me. Mg, IMO is a very important part of the reefkeeping equation.
Lastly, what kind of lights do you have? How long is your light cycle and where is the coral in the tank? Bottom, middle or top?

That ought to get us started.....

Back