Newbie saying hello, questions, looking for Live Rock - Solana

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronone10

Hi All, I know I should put this into the livestock section but I wanted to say hello as well and I have a couple of questions.

My daughter and I are getting a Solana 34gal for Christmas (let's hope it arrives in time), present from mom. I have been reading and looking at the landscaping and have a general idea in mind. The questions are what type of live rock and how best to secure them. I figure around 30 - 40lbs of mixed rocks. I am thinking of a vertical shape with some outcropping (terraced) and need advice on what type of lv will work (marshall, fiji, etc).
What technique do you use to hold the rocks together (glue, tie downs)?

I want to try to get the pieces sooner rather than later and I was wondering if there are owners in the greater Seattle and Eastside that you know who would like to contribute (for a price of course)? Since I'm trying to save money, stores would be my second option. Any suggestions there?

Thanks... Ron

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!!! Were you thinking of joining the PSAS? Hubby and I are newer members of the PSAS and we love it we have learned so much it is definitely worth the $30 year membership plus 10% off at local stores lets just say we have paid for our membership just from the savings. There is a Christmas Party for the next meeting December 20th at 1pm that you can come to and sign up at the same time. I do know there are a few guys on here under the livestock for sale selling liverock for I think $2 a pound. Best way to put rock in is to put it in first then add sand it makes it much more stable especially if you have a sand burrowing critter in your tank. There are epoxies and glue you can use I would use expoxy for stacking live rock. The expoxy I have is called AquaScape and it comes in purple and I think like a grey color I use the purple one. Works good but make sure to turn skimmer off for a couple hours when using it it makes mine go nuts. There are other ways using acrylic rods and tie downs I haven't used those methods but I am sure others who have can tell you more about it. You can also save some cash by doing a mix of base rock(dead rock) and live rock. I used 80 pounds Base rock and initially started with 20 pounds live rock and my base rock is seeding very well. Once again welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Nicole and Gary,

I really appreciate the fast reply. I did see the party next week and I have relatives in town as well, hmmmm. I may be able to swing by but probably not stay too long. I will have to check the schedule with my wife.

Since the Solana is a small size tank I figure I would stay away from the base rock (dead) and go for the live rock. But, to save on the money, why not consider dead rock. I found this from another thread, www.marcorocks.com. Very nice and priced well.

If I come, I will look for you. Thanks.. Ron

The PSAS also has a new forum on the website www.thepsas.org even if you are not a member yet you can stll sign up and use it. You should stop by the Christmas party Hubby and I are definitely going plus it is at a member's house (Vicki) and you might be able to get some ideas on rock scaping and pick everyone's brain on ideas. Also alot of local stores have membership sign up for PSAS so you can sign up in store also. We got our rock (base and live) over at Blue Sierra and they are having a sale right now $4.99 per lb for live and I think their base rock is $1.99 until the end of the year. Check out their sponsor forum here on this website and you can see what they have onsale (sale thread is the Anniversary sale) plus every weekend they have doorbusters. They do have some sweet live sand also their I actually got some for our refugium and love it it's nice stuff. We thought about ordering ours online but I was worried about what it would look like and if I would like the shapes and everything that is why we decided to go to a local store and pick it out ourself but alot of people do like ordering it online I guess I am just picky about shapes lol. Well hope to see you at the party if you decide to come :)

Last edited:
if you have a specific idea in mind it may be better to map it out and build your live rock yourself. it is a lot cheaper and that way you can get that perfect design you are imagining.

also if you are getting corals take into account unless you frag, you will get them on.......rocks. often big combersome, cant find a proper place to put rocks. so leave room for the eyecandy, and have fun

Back