NINH= Nooby In Need of Help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I bought a biocube, and now I want people's opinions on how they think I should go by setting it up/cycling it/ preparing it. Please help me. I want tp do it once and right! Anything will help. Oh ya, it will have one RBTA and one clown fish and one clam total. :D

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!

What type of lighting does it have? Unless it has Metal Halides or quality T5HO, I wouldn't recommend a clam. Also, an RBTA will typically get too large for a Nano tank.

There's lots of great information on here, to help you with setting up and cycling your tank. Do not cycle with fish. This is very stressful on the fish. Get it set up, with sand and live rock and start testing. You'll want to test for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. If you use established live rock, and get it in your tank, with little die off, you'll probably not experience a cycle.

If you use rock that hasn't been cured, you'll experience a cycle and see Ammonia climb and peak, nitrites climb and peak, as ammonia drops, and then nitrates climb, as nitrites drop. You want your Ammonia and Nitrites at 0. Nitrates won't drop, without water changes, a protein skimmer or using Macro Algae as a denitrification method. A combination of all 3 is great!!

Also, if you do insist on an RBTA, even though your tank probably won't be appropriate for one, I'd highly suggest waiting at least 6 months, for your tank to stabilize. The clam will also need stable condition, and high intensity lighting.

Stock lighting is insufficient for a bta as well as a clam. Unless you have bc29 then tank is too small for nem as well.

Welcome here!!

+1 for what the other two above me have stated, you can always get a really small nem and then trade your larger one for another smaller one when the time comes or when it splits keep the smaller one and get rid of the bigger one. But these are just some ideas :)

also as far as lighting i would either get MH or LED's to be able to keep the clam youd like to get.

Back